DigitalRune Engine Opinions

Started by
3 comments, last by Ungunbu 9 years, 5 months ago

Good day kind community members,

I'm considering the DigitalRune Engine for my new game project. Taking a look at the site it seems pretty feature-rich. They have an affordable indie license too. I'd appreciate if you could share your opinion about this engine.

Many thanks

Advertisement

If this is for a new game project, what are your criteria for choosing this instead of something else out there?

If this is for a new game project, what are your criteria for choosing this instead of something else out there?

Yes it's for a new game. I don't need anything fancy, really:

1) c#

2) Ability to procedurally create meshes

3) Animated models (basic skinning)

4) Decent material system allowing me to use custom shaders if I see the need

5) Lightweight and easy to use

I found the Paradox3D engine. Seems powerful (and it's free) but the lack of tutorials was a "no-go" for me.

Any suggestion is much appreciated, cheers

Well, paradox3D is based on SharpDX while DigitalRune works with XNA, and documents for XNA are definitly more plentiful

Well, paradox3D is based on SharpDX while DigitalRune works with XNA, and documents for XNA are definitly more plentiful

And I already used XNA in the past. Btw paradox is somewhat inspired to XNA in the way it's core framework is structured. If has a Game class and Game Systems (which are similar to XNA Game Components). The devs should add some tuts and best-practice articles about Scripts (based on c# async programming) and the RenderingPipeline (looks like a collection of renderer objects each one representing a rendering pass). Their asset import tool seems pretty powerful too. Too bad they weren't able to add more docs. Anyway they are still in alpha so I expect more to come on this front.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement