Sign in to follow this  

Need some tips for a Project

This topic is 1125 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey, I'm Harry

So for a Research Project I have decided to research the development and publishing process of a mobile game and in the process of this study I plan on developing my own mobile game as a demonstration. My questions is whether or not I should learn the basics of a coding language and create the game from there or use a game creating tool like GameMaker. I only plan on making a game like a Flappy Bird clone or a stripped down monster dash. The time I have to develop the game is roughly 2 months.

TL;DR

I need to make a game for a project within 2 months, should I use GameMaker etc. or learn code?

Edited by what for?

The Research Project is part of achieving the equivalent of a High School diploma here in Australia. The idea is for students to pick a question they are interested in and then conduct research regarding that question. 

None of the teachers over-seeing the project are familiar with game developing or coding in general, so they were very little help.

Edited by what for?

I use to teach programming and if you don't have prior programming experience, I don't think is feasible to code a game in two months unless you put in a lot of hours and make a very, very simple game. If you are the typical student that has to attend classes and has homework and exams, I'd go for GameMaker or something alike.

I wrote this guide for Parents looking to get their kids started in Game Dev, but in all honesty, it should be equally applicable to you.  Since you need to publish to mobile at the end of the process, you can safely cross half the suggestions off your list.  With a time window that tight, I would use as high level as tool as possible ( AKA< not learn to code ).

That said, a warning.  Almost all of these products ( Game Maker, Construct, Stencyl ) actually make their money by making the desktop version free, but charging for mobile export.  So, if you go that route, expect to spend at least $100 for the license to publish mobile.  That's certainly one of the downsides of this approach.

In my experience professors are going to be more interested in the publication/development process rather than any final game product - that being said you will probably want to do research and talk about all of the different choices there are for the development process. Then choose the shortest possible development time route for yourself and make the simplest possible game - and then talk about the different choices and options for taking it through to publication.

I would suggest that you do not put a lot of effort or time in to the gameplay or graphics or anything like that - because your professors simply are not going to care. Just get a bare bones game working - possibly even a game clone.

If you want to start a game project with the goal of making a really fun/cool game - I would suggest you do it after the semester ends not as a part of this particular project.

Just my two cents - I'm a graduate student in EE and have a lot of experience with this type of thing

This topic is 1125 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.