• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sage13

Game programming CHALLENGE!!!!!!!

This topic is 6240 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Guest Anonymous Poster
sorry sage13, i think you misunderstand what i meant about my knowledge compared to yours. I am talking completly about knowledge on programming and current computer technology, nothing more and nothing less.

also dont give me what i want to hear, i understand and can picture waht you want. I love 2d fighters as well, but as 2d fighters and not as a basterdized 3d fighter using 2d sprites to mimic 3d.

I completely understand what you are attempting, but humour me and answer the follwoing questions.

If you only care about the "How" of things, then do you ever expect to actually complete this project?

"Stages are animated to have a 360 degree view around the foreground of the player. Hence the player is also animated to be seen or scrolled around from differnet sides" this quite confuses me since you want 360 degree rotation, yet say you odnt need all 360 degrees?

"Each character and background element will have realistic lighting, based on the location of a light source. For intance, there is only one stage on the demo, but the light sources are many. The sun moves in the background, changes the light source, hence the highlights and shades will change for all things, including the players. Not only does the light source affect the environment, but the players moves like fireballs and such create another light source that is brighter to the players, but has effects on the fore ground and close background." You wish realistic lighting (assuming anime style). I know you dont want to hear it so i wont say it. There is no how short if the brute force method of drawing every possible lighting condition, you can save some memory (oh wwit you odnt care about that) but using only directional lighting since you can just have one light source spun 360 around the charaecter (have fun drawing this) for each frame. you can then use this as a lightmap and multiple all the lights you will need. point lights are.. (oops i wont say it)

Super moves that are done will or wont show the opponent and arena (i use this word since it includes background, midground, foreground?

during normal fighting will there be any special camera movement(minus neogeo style zooming) or will it standard 2d type?

Can fighters move around in the arena and use parts of it as weapons a la powerstone for dreamcast or again are you limiting( a word you need to learn) it to standard playfield like street fighter?

Just a word of advice. This was issued as a game PROGRAMMING challenge in a game PROGRAMMING forum. This means members for the most part have some knowledge pf coding and will answer using that knowledge. Do things purly conceptual is left for philosphers. You asked for techies and thats what you got. You obviously dont care about what we say unless it is in agreement with what you are thinking. The only reason you want this ended is because you are realizing that this project is too large to be completed in its full grandor and others see that clear as day. Maybe i am seeing it farther then you intend to bring it based on your use of dynamic in many of your requirments. As i am picture an interactive arena on the level of powerstone. with dynamic lighting, breaking furtniture, and weapons.

- groof

Advertisement
Guest Anonymous Poster
quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster
Just a word of advice. This was issued as a game PROGRAMMING challenge in a game PROGRAMMING forum. This means members for the most part have some knowledge pf coding and will answer using that knowledge. Do things purly conceptual is left for philosphers. You asked for techies and thats what you got.

I agree.
If you want to fantasize about this great game, without taking into account the physical limits of the universe in which we live, you should post your thoughts in the game design forum, where they don''t care as much about the coding details.

drop it - this is becoming a redundant circle -
what the hell are you trying to prove? Talk won''t prove anything. If your believe its soooo possible to do it as you''ve described... then sit down and start crackin. QED.
Andy

heh heh... has anyone else noticed that the dumbest forums have the most responses in them?

--- krez (krezisback@aol.com)

To the Anonymous Poster: Did I say he shouldn''t do 3D? NO. Dont assume asshole. I personally dont have a say on wether what Sage wants to do is possible or should be done. I just said he isn''t getting the answer he is looking for.

To Oluseyi: I didn''t mention ANYTHING about the actual topic. I didn''t give him advice to use 2D or 3D. I just said that I dont think he is getting the answers he is looking for as in, he asked for an approach if possible; if its unreasonable then say it. There is no need for an explanation that would require him to know about programming since he said he doesn''t program. Also you cannot determine how smart I am. And personally I think assumed things like the Anonymous Poster did.

By the way, for the record. I think you are a bit arrogant and that you underestimate me. Telling people to "grow up" doesn''t make you mature. I change my mind, you are arrogant - not only a bit.

"Ogun''s Laughter Is No Joke!!!" - Ogun Kills On The Right, A Nigerian Poem.

Whoops...I was half wrong. He didn''t say that he wasn''t a programmer in the beginning...must have had this topic mixed up with another one that a guy asked for an explanation after he said he didn''t know anything about programming. My statement about Oluseyi''s arrogance hasn''t changed though. Thats not only from this reply. And same for the Anonymous Poster.

"Ogun''s Laughter Is No Joke!!!" - Ogun Kills On The Right, A Nigerian Poem.

quote:
Original post by EbonySeraph
By the way, for the record. I think you are a bit arrogant and that you underestimate me. Telling people to "grow up" doesn''t make you mature. I change my mind, you are arrogant - not only a bit.

I''m not arrogant, I just don''t like you. From previous threads I''ve found that you respond without information (like our little XBox debate, where you came at me first without even understanding what I was talking about)

I don''t know if I told you to grow up; if it hurt your sensibilities - well, grow up! The world is a place of conflict, and others wont tread softly so as not to hurt your feelings. You have to learn to defend your positions lucidly, without consistently resorting to insult. You also have to learn how to state your positions while making clear information you may not have. Debating skills come with age/maturity; you have shown me several times that you lack them, so for now I regard you with dismissal.

Guest Anonymous Poster
EbonySeraph:
By saying we are giving the wrong answers, you are agreeing with his methodology. Granted you may not have meant to, unfortunatly I cant read your mind and can only go by the words you post. Also you kinda erred again.

"he asked for an approach if possible; if its unreasonable then say it" Sage actually could not care less about the possiblities because he is being quite immature about saying how its possible without backing up his claims. This may seem harsh, but blind faith breeds ignorance. Sage''s blind faith in his methodology of using 2d art for a 3d style game is quite silly. Face it, I explained to him using simple numbers that he should have understood. I strayed away for the programming side as much as I could. Unfortunatly any project worth doing must be at least considered feasible during the design process (which he wanted us to do for him) or you might as well pick a different approach. My feeling using 2d to recreate a dynamic 3d game such as he wants is the brute force method which shows a low understanding of the problem at hand (the design of the game).

Ebony you feel i am arogant and call me names? I may be a bit arrogant, but that is because of my ambitous nature. I did not want to bring in my accomplishments, but i felt it would help put what he had done into perspective (since numerous times he said was the super amibitous type). I know it was arrogant to list what i had done. It also was silly of me to actually give him numbers (which would be useful in resource allocation) which he completly ignored as if they were erronous.

heh, I might as well give you the assumptions I made. To see how wrong I was.
for Sag13 i felt:
1. Very little to no programming expeirence. (even before he mentioned that he did not program).

2. He did not have pros to look at the answers right away since he would have had them do the design and got feedback form us. Plus any pro would have laughed at his proposal (ignore all tech/money/time requirments)

3. He knows very little about the actual design process behind games. This was again shown by him want to just have a game thats different and not care about gameplay. (Sage what does using 2d over 3d provide gameplay wise?)

4. He was young, i though he was actually closer to 13-16 since thats the age group (and the 13 in his nick) that tends to have such optimistic views of technology. They also tend to not care about limitations if they are really ambitous. Granted he was 19 (as he says and I believe) so i was a bit off in that respect. Though his personality reflected ignorence about limitations taken to an extreme.

5. The idea cam from watching and anime one day and thinking "damn that woudl make a cool game, but gotta do it in 2d since i dont know how to model well and i like the 2d look better". granted it dont matter where the idea originated, but in this case it seemed he did not look into anything before posting his "GAME PROGRAMMING challenge".

6. I felt it was a game programming challenge and treated as such. This post would have been better if he explained in detail what he wanted, instead of letting us break it up and take it in the wrong direction (as he felt anyway).

now about EbonySegraph:
1. I have no idea about your age, but assumed it was the (13-16) range.

2. I also felt you hav little to no programming expeirence since you did felt all the previous refutes of his propsed game design choices were wrong. you feel you dont have the say in whether Sage''s idea is possible or not. This led me to believe you coudl not see what was painful obvious to me and others. This game concept wont work for the simple fact that the resources are not availible currently and in the forseeable future.

3. Since you alreday believe me to be arrogant, you might as well view my website (which is in desperate need of updating). I think you may believe i was making things up or something.

http://home.hvc.rr.com/afflatus

if anyway goes there, please realize that it has not been updated in awhile and that the software is not bug free. Also RTFM for any software you do download since most of it is in beta stages.

I really need to start writing less. oh well. (btw for those who have not picked this up I have a bad habit of helping the ignorent see what they are doing wrong)

- groof

Ok, ok, now. I think we''ve all expressed our opinions quite enough now. I''m not forcing anyone to do this, but, let''s all agree to stop this thread for the sake of humanity and all that is still bearable in this world (whatever the hell that means), ok? This thread reminds me of a race track: circles upon endless circles but with no finish line. End the topic, agreed?

P.S. Sage13, tone down/limit, rethink, or refine your future questions so something like this doesn''t happen again (although you honestly haven''t committed any "real serious crimes" quite frankly), or go to the game design forum, NOT the programming forums. The reasons for this have been RESTATED REPEATEDLY. (i.e You want philosophy, the programmers are giving you reality, you don''t understand or want to hear that, etc.). Goodness gracious.

Guest Anonymous Poster
quote:
Original post by drown
(although you honestly haven''t committed any "real serious crimes" quite frankly)

Yah, ignorance is still legal

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!