U.S Army, etc. pics copyright?

Started by
6 comments, last by Jester101 22 years, 5 months ago
Hello, you all know the pictures and movies shows on television about starting/landing aircraft on carriers, etc. As some of you might know these pictures are not taken from a television team, but from U.S military personnel. My question now is: Is the distribution of them "free"? Which department would be responsible for that? Could someone of you even give me an e-mail or real mail adress? Take care, Jester

My companies website: www.nielsbauergames.com

Advertisement
I''m not a lawyer (and I don''t play one on TV) but I seem to remember hearing that the US Government could not copyright things.
The government may not be able to, but individual people employed by the government can.
Are you sure about that? I guess it depends on your contractual arrangement, but normally you can''t copyright work you do when employed by someone else. You give up the rights to your ideas and work, at least those related to your employer.

But I''m not a lawyer, and I could be completely wrong here.
_________________________The Idea Foundry
This question grabbed my interest so I started looking around the net for info. One thing I saw can at least disprove the idea that the government can''t copyright anything: the notice at the bottom of the main airforce.com page, "©1996-2001 U.S. Air Force".
The government certainly can copyright stuff. As for who to contact the best bet would be to start with the defence department. Best place to start would probably be US Giv > Defence Dept in the phone book and ask to speak to the public relations dept.

Dan Marchant
Obscure Productions
Dan Marchant - Business Development Consultant
www.obscure.co.uk
Well you see english is not my first language and in Germany I don''t have access to a US phonebook. Is there a chance someone of this forum could be so kind to call and ask them for a e-mail contact?

My companies website: www.nielsbauergames.com

The pictures /should/ be okay to use, I believe. However, if they''ve got specific guns (M4 Carbines, M16A2s, etc) the guns'' likenesses would still be copyrighted by the manufacturer. So it could be interesting there, too.

For an example, look at that travesty called a sales release of Counter-Strike. Steyr AUG = Bullpup. MP5 = KP5. See my point?
Sqeek.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement