Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wrathnut

[java] Swing??

Wrathnut    466
Hi everyone! I have a quick question pertaining to what I am doing at work. Anyway here goes. 1.) I am trying to make an html parse and window object in java, I know that swing provides a way to do this, but I need to know if swing is compatable with java applets off the shelf. Meaning this: Does the user of the applet need to download some plugin to be able to use a swing applet? 2.) If this is not possible does anyone know of a way to do this that has already been done? I have the basic framework to do all of this in the jdk 1.1 setup, but I am on a tight deadline and don''t know if I will have the development time necessary to complete this with all of the other projects I have at the same time. thanks in advance, War doesn''t determine who is right, war determines who is left.

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
1) I assume when you said if swing is compatible with java applets off the shelf, you were asking if it is supported by the default JVM supplied by MS for IE. In that case, AFAIK no, IE *by default* supports only up to Java 1.1.

2) Swing isn''t needed to parse html from a window object. The GUI objects can be be implemented with AWT and writing a routine to parse text isn''t too difficult. Ultimately, you''ll learn more if you implement it yourself but if you''re stuck, it''s quite a common example used in many text books and tutorials.

Wrathnut    466
Yea this is what I figured. And yes I meant the defualt JVM supplied with IE and nestcape. As for being stuck. No I am not, I was just wondering if anyone knew of some tutorial that already did it. The only reason I ask is because I am trying to write the most flexible parser I can in the shortest amought of time But I think I can stave off my boss for awhile till I get the one I am working on done.

Thanks for the quick response.

War doesn't determine who is right, war determines who is left.

Edited by - wrathnut on November 8, 2001 3:15:40 PM

WayfarerX    130
Couple of tips:

1) You might want to check out Jazilla, a java web browser. The project is pretty much dead, but the source code is still up and you might get a few tips from it.

2) Also, your JDK directory has a file called src.jar in it. This contains the source code to the whole Java platform, including Swing. You might get some help from that as well (look for javax.swing.JEditorPane).

"So crucify the ego, before it's far too late. To leave behind this place so negative and blind and cynical, and you will come to find that we are all one mind. Capable of all that's imagined and all conceivable."
- Tool

Edited by - wayfarerx on November 8, 2001 3:23:46 PM

Jim_Ross    122
What I would do is not write my own HTML browser. But if I absolutely had to, I would look at the source code for the TextBrowser widget in Qt (www.trolltech.com). It''s exactly what you are looking for (I think) using C++. Swing does not work with any freshly installed microsoft OS afaik. It does work with browsers that support OJI and systems with Java2 installed.