Phong Shading

Started by
9 comments, last by Willywig 22 years, 5 months ago
I am looking for a code sample or tutorial on Phong Shading.... Can anyone help me? Billy
Advertisement
www.google.com most certainly can.
Been there done that
"Been there, done that"? This may seem rude, but go there and do it again!

I typed "phong shading tutorial" into the box and there are plenty of great links.

http://www.google.com/search?q=phong+shading+tutorial
quote:Original post by Willywig
Been there done that

Liar.

Don''t get mad at me; I''m the blunt one.

I wanna work for Microsoft!
quote:Original post by Oluseyi
Original post by Willywig
Been there done that

Liar.

I did look and all the ones that i found there where not very good…. So I will rephrase the question…. Where are some GOOD tutorials?

Ps. I do work for microsoft

All you need is Phongs lighting model equation, if you are a CODER you should be able to continue from here.
Kd * (N dot L) + Ks * (R dot V)^n
If this doesnt make sense to you, you are asking the wrong question.
quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
Original post by Oluseyi
Original post by Willywig
Been there done that

Liar.

I did look and all the ones that i found there where not very good…. So I will rephrase the question…. Where are some GOOD tutorials?

Ps. I do work for microsoft

If you work for microsoft, you can afford a decent graphics reference book. Something like Watt''s Advanced Animation and Rendering techniques will cover this.

You don''t find many tutorials on phong shading or phong reflectance because it''s a very basic technique, and not very interesting to study on it''s own.
This link here was found on the search I did on google for "phong shading tutorial"

http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Horizon/6933/shading.html

It has code, diagrams, and links to other resources about phong shading.

If someone isn''t willing to look for information that is this easy to find, then I don''t see how they have what it takes to code anything like a 3d renderer.
quote:Original post by no way
All you need is Phongs lighting model equation, if you are a CODER you should be able to continue from here.
Kd * (N dot L) + Ks * (R dot V)^n
If this doesnt make sense to you, you are asking the wrong question.

Explaining what all those variables are might help. N seems to be the surface normal; L seems to be the normalized light vector; Ks seems to be the specularity coefficient; Kd seems to be the diffuse coefficient; R seems to be the reflected light vector; V seems to be the view vector; and n is.... another specularity changer thingy.... (Ks changes the intensity; n changes the "falloff" of the bright dot)

How good were those guesses?

(And what are the "official" names for Ks and n?)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement