Audio API

Started by
7 comments, last by FGFS 9 years, 4 months ago

So, I know OpenAL's been a popular API for feeding audio data to the speakers in applications and even used for some OS features, but is it still around? I heard that Creative made it proprietary after its 1.1 release, and its website seems almost nonexistent. I know it's supported well on Mac, Linux and there's still a Windows installer on its website, but is that a good way to go? Should I be using OpenAL Soft? OpenAL Soft seems like what Freeglut is to GLUT haha.

I'd like to keep my programming initiatives multi platform (Linux, Windows and Mac), but should I be using DirectSound for Windows?

Advertisement

Yeah AFAIK, OpenAL Soft is the successor.

FMOD is an extremely popular choice, or Wwise if you have money wink.png

Some of the FMOD stuff, FMOD Studio and FMOD Studio programmer’s API, is free for indie projects with less then $100,000 budget. Its also free for non commercial/educational, and the pricing isnt bad for commercial license.

Yeah AFAIK, OpenAL Soft is the successor.

FMOD is an extremely popular choice, or Wwise if you have money wink.png

Wwise has a free license for non-commercial use (you also get the SDK source code), and it's a damn fine sound engine :)

Ok, I'd be happy to look at Wwise. I have looked at FMOD before, but I know little about audio. I wanted to get into lower-level audio programming, and learn the theory so I could properly use higher-end tools like the two listed :) The other point for going low-level is so that I could at better understand how the data moves from the client application to the hardware. I was also hoping to find a widely-supported API though, so I wasn't constrained to any OS specific. It looks like OpenAL Soft is what I'm currently looking for!

I will return to something like FMOD or Wwise though, once I have the fundamentals in audio down.

Note that with FMOD it's actually split into two API - a high level one based around its tools, and a low level one based around actually mixing audio data.
I'm not much of an audio programmer either, but AFAIK you can write plugins to actually generate or process audio samples/streams yourself.

Also AFAIK, a lot of audio stuff seems to be done in software these days instead of using dedicated mixing hardware, with largely pre-mixed data being sent to the OS-level APIs in the end.

but AFAIK you can write plugins to actually generate or process audio samples/streams yourself.

Yeah Wwise definitely supports low level audio processing plugins (I just finished building a simple delay). It also gives you all sorts of interesting callbacks for messing around with speaker/channel volumes.

I'd like to keep my programming initiatives multi platform (Linux, Windows and Mac), but should I be using DirectSound for Windows?

DirectSound was depreciated a few years ago, the gaming-focused API on Windows is now XAudio.

Of course, that's the low-ish level API, so you may find it easier to use libraries mentioned in this thread on top of it (especially if you're going cross-platform, as XAudio is Windows-only), but they'll probably all call into XAudio internally.

Interesting, I didn't even know that there are different OpenAL. I simply used the default on Linux/OSX and found some installer for Windows. Checking back in synaptic, it already uses by default openalsoft. So I'll check someday what I'm actually using on Win/Mac...rolleyes.gif

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement