Started working on my 4X Emperor game thing :)

Started by
29 comments, last by traisane 7 years ago

(I even studied Human Resources, so I might be biased here I suppose)

That explains a LOT now :)

Governors have 3 stats: competence (how good they are at being governor - it benefits the planet), loyalty (how much they love the Emperor and how willing they are to betray him upon a rebelion/coup/etc), corruption (it affects the whole empire at a global level, the average corruption of all your officials determines the corruption level in the empire - it might affect various things like: taxes, how easily rebels could buy illegal weapons, population happines, justice).

Might be entitled its own thread? right now, I'd have a hard time circling back to this conversation based on the thread's title?

Advertisement

Is it me or is name "Pocket Space Empire" a bit odd for a (PC) game you can't have in your pocket? smile.png

mostates by moson?e | Embrace your burden

Update (time management):

I have been using a method I used for the first game I finished, which is keeping a private dev journal. But I added now a twist to it. Originally I was just keeping a track of "work days" (days I worked on the game, ignoring real time) which is great for efficient use of development time (and to fight feature creep). But then I noticed the realtime become lagging behind. So I added another metric, which is a ratio of real days to work days. It helped me improve to dev pace.

Some stats: The game has been in development for 33 work days (83 real days has passed), the earlier part was at 0.35 ratio (so I worked once per 3 days), this month I improved it greatly to 0.6 (ideal being 0.71 which means 5 days per week), but the ratio will surely fall this month due to Christmast, New Year and so on.

And how you manage the time budget of your project? Any useful tips?

Might be entitled its own thread? right now, I'd have a hard time circling back to this conversation based on the thread's title?
Maybe. But at the moment I have no questions about governors, plus it will be rather late impolmented. So, maybe later.

Is it me or is name "Pocket Space Empire" a bit odd for a (PC) game you can't have in your pocket? smile.png

:)

There is a long story about the title. But the 2 most important parts:

- it kind of conveys a semi minimalistic feel, which is kind of compatible with the premise, althrough I'm not sure I want to focus on that part

- it helps me fight feature creep. Historically ALL my games turned out complex :D So, if I gave the game a title "pocket" it will help me focus that it should not be complex, so I will try to make it simple. Of course I will fail and the game will be overly complex (as usual), but at least this trick should make it merely complex not super super complex :D

My only worry is if this won't be confused with a mobile game.

Stellar Monarch (4X, turn based, released): GDN forum topic - Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

You know, you could post some feedbcak on the project management or some design choices. I can still change many things at this stage.

I think I should sort out and organize the core of the game (think of it as both what would be on the "back of the box" (in the times when we had boxes smile.png) and what would be the design direction). What you think about these?

1) No micromanagement (you are the Emperor not a logistics officer)

2) Grand strategy, no dealing with lowly tactical level (you have admirals for this)

3) Fast paced while complex & epic in scale

I'm not sure about the 3rd one...

Stellar Monarch (4X, turn based, released): GDN forum topic - Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

3) Fast paced while complex & epic in scale

I'm not sure about the 3rd one...

You could have fast paced game with real time implementation. And the player can choose how fast or slow the player wants the time to run.

In essence it would be like a regular turn based game, only that the turns play out in parallell for each player and the turns tick on their own. Player just changes how fast the turns tick or they can completely pause the game if desired. Without knowing the usual actions within your game, one second could be the slowest interval between turns. Paradox Studio titles have that system working quite well.

If the player is inbetween a period where nothing happens, the player can just fast forward. If stuff gets intense, the player can then reduce the speed to a comfortable speed.

Do you catch my drift here?

You could have fast paced game with real time implementation. And the player can choose how fast or slow the player wants the time to run.
Well, I like turns and do not like so much realtime :) I understand what you say and see your point and see some logic behind it and even agree to some degree, but... It's personal :D I want it turn based :)

Well, I like turns and do not like so much realtime smile.png I understand what you say and see your point and see some logic behind it and even agree to some degree, but... It's personal biggrin.png I want it turn based smile.png

Whatever floats you boat, mate. Cheers.

Also, another idea, you could put a nice little feature in your turn system. Automatic turns. Basically a button or a checkbox that keeps activating a new turn as long as it is activated. I envision it as a quick forward mechanic for when you are waiting for stuff(like prduction queues or smth) with nothing to do. Also the automatic turns should deactivate if something important happens(perhaps players could personalize the messages to set which one's are important enough to end the automatic turns).

Started posting screens on https://twitter.com/silverlemur (funny thing, I instantly got 5 followers - the FIRST followers ever smile.png - after I posted my first screen, so I say posting screens, even bad ones is the key to promotion, I think)

Also, since I joined #screenshotsaturday you might be able find the game screen/s on the "GDNET Game" if you play it smile.png

( http://www.gamedev.net/page/showdown/matchup.html )

Also, another idea, you could put a nice little feature in your turn system. Automatic turns. Basically a button or a checkbox that keeps activating a new turn as long as it is activated. I envision it as a quick forward mechanic for when you are waiting for stuff(like prduction queues or smth) with nothing to do. Also the automatic turns should deactivate if something important happens(perhaps players could personalize the messages to set which one's are important enough to end the automatic turns).

Each turn will be interesting and the player won't want to skip them smile.png

(personally, I have not yet played any turn based game so bad that it would make me want to skip turns biggrin.png)

Anyway, I think the "fast paced" here would be more about the total lenght of the game. Like you would typically need 5-6 hours to finish it (I know time is very subjective since some people play much faster than the other, what I mean is the game would be more "condensed" (especially late game which will not drag on for ages) than a typical 4X).

Also started a dev log http://silverlemur.tumblr.com/

(geez, all these Facebooks, Twitters, Tumblrs... I do learn a lot of these fancy social stuff just for the promotion :D I salute those who use these by their own desire)

I guess, with YouTube channel that would be all (I'm not making any more of these :D)

From methodology point of view I upped my workday ratio to 0.41 (when I think about it, anything less than 0.5 is nonsense, come one, if I'm making a game I should do it at least every second day). Also tried pomodoro for coding, works quite fine, I recommend trying it (I use "pomodairo" clock, 45 mins timer).

BTW, why don't you start a similar topic about your game in progress? Share your dev tricks and thoughts too...

Also started a dev log http://silverlemur.tumblr.com/

(geez, all these Facebooks, Twitters, Tumblrs... I do learn a lot of these fancy social stuff just for the promotion biggrin.png I salute those who use these by their own desire)

I guess, with YouTube channel that would be all (I'm not making any more of these biggrin.png)

You might want to sign up for one more: HootSuite (w/ the free account)

I've been following your design topics for awhile now, so I'm glad I'm now able to stalk you on twitter.

Some advice I wish I had when I started twittifying:

• Don't forget to use #hashtags, but don't over-use them (no more than two a tweet, IMO)
  • Don't stupid-use hashtags for tags that don't make sense.
  • Don't forget that Twitter isn't just game developers, so some tags are already taken by other industries. #indie is the indie music scene, not indie games (use #indiedev instead)
  • When you reply to someone, or when you tweet to someone, if your tweet starts with the '@' character (or whitespace and then @), it's not broadcasted to all your followers unless the follow is following both you and one of the people you are @addressing. Instead, put the @username later in the tweet ("Hi, @silverlemur, etc... and stuff", or "That looks pretty cool, @silverlemur", so it's not the first character). Some people do ".@username" so a period comes first.
  • Starting with an '@' doesn't make it private though. Just not broadcasted as widely. (Use DM's for private chat. However, the person must follow you before you can DM him. And be sure to follow him so he can DM back)
  • At the same time, if you're just chatting back and forth with others, or addressing a specific user and aren't wanting to explicitly invite others into the conversation, starting with '@username' is a good way not to spam your followers' feeds.
  • Try to tweet several times a day, if you have something worth saying. I have a suspicion that some followers use free online programs to auto-unfollow accounts that are absent for too many days in a row. That said, sometimes I gain alot of (legitimate) followers when I've been absent. huh.png
  • Alot of twitter users are bots that follow you hoping for a follow back, and sometimes even tweet you in a robotic way.
  • Some bots are useful though! Some bots retweet specific hashtags to help you reach a wider audience. #indiedev and #gamedev are some examples.
    However, there's a bot that likes to retweet my #gamedesign tagged tweets, and slap my avatar photograph across the tweet as well. That's dumb.
  • Frequently regurgitating other content on the web can get you followers, but it annoys me so I'll stop following you. Occasionally tweeting or retweeting a cool link is fine and appreciated though.
  • Tweeting hundreds of times in a day is also annoying (but again, tweets starting with '@' don't spam all your followers, so those are fine).
  • Tweeting images that are embedded into the tweet instead of just a link is very eye-catching in a good way. (Hootsuite doesn't enable that unless you have a paid account, so just switch to twitter.com in a different tab for image-posting. It's no hassle)

Despite the limited space for tweets, I personally try to use proper punctuation and capitalization. Just like with text messages. People's personal preferences vary though. laugh.png

I also second you starting a GD.net Journal. smile.png

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement