Entering the industry at over age 30

Started by
12 comments, last by Orymus3 9 years, 4 months ago

First here is my job background. Currently I work as a web developer with most of my experience in PHP and MySQL, and some in MongoDB. HTML, CSS and JavaScript are also included since that I frequently juggle both front-end and back-end programming. I may not have a CS degree (it's a BFA in electronic visualization) but I have taken a few CS classes and I've exclusively done software engineering jobs since graduating in 2007, so I am not exactly a newcomer to this. In my spare time I have taught myself C++ and C# as well as several APIs and libraries to go with it. I'd like to know if it is still easy for someone with prior programming experience to get into a video game career at an age over 30.

My assumption is that many game studios prefer younger employees because they are more willing to take a lower salary. Right now I am 31 years old but in theory I shouldn't be a hard sell to potential employers salary-wise. Many web programmers who haven't yet taken any lead or senior roles (such as myself) tend to fall in the lower end of the programmer salary spectrum anyways, especially in PHP since competition is high there. But I wonder if my age will be a bigger deterrent to getting hired, or if I'm blowing it out of proportion and should just concentrate on building a portfolio. I am not interested in starting my own business/studio, as it will take me away from the more software focused challenges that I prefer more.

New game in progress: Project SeedWorld

My development blog: Electronic Meteor

Advertisement
Your skills are far more important than how many trips you've made around the sun. Focus on those and you'll be fine.

Wielder of the Sacred Wands
[Work - ArenaNet] [Epoch Language] [Scribblings]

Speaking as a 31-year-old ex-PHP/SQL engineer who's now a senior engineer working at a very large and successful game developer... being ~30 is in many ways pretty ideal; you're likely to have a lot in common with both the younger engineers and the more experienced folks (and any company that's interviewing you is about as interested in your culture fit as anything else).

Your resume will be your real problem (I'm not sure why anyone thinks people look at engineers' portfolios; ain't nobody got time for that). I'd suggest studying Jason Gregory's book and then practicing making a game in a bigger, production-grade engine (doesn't matter which; just something that has a working content pipeline).

Sean Middleditch – Game Systems Engineer – Join my team!

(I'm not sure why anyone thinks people look at engineers' portfolios; ain't nobody got time for that).

Not every company has the same hiring model.

For a counterexample, I rely very heavily on portfolio code samples to screen potential candidates. The main reason I rarely look at them is because most applicants don't have any code samples. This is a Bad Thing™. Be able to show your abilities to program, even if it's just a compact (but well-written) utility or mini-game.

Speaking as a 31-year-old ex-PHP/SQL engineer who's now a senior engineer working at a very large and successful game developer... being ~30 is in many ways pretty ideal; you're likely to have a lot in common with both the younger engineers and the more experienced folks (and any company that's interviewing you is about as interested in your culture fit as anything else).

Your resume will be your real problem (I'm not sure why anyone thinks people look at engineers' portfolios; ain't nobody got time for that). I'd suggest studying Jason Gregory's book and then practicing making a game in a bigger, production-grade engine (doesn't matter which; just something that has a working content pipeline).

Even with my seven years of experience I'm still not a senior engineer. Looks like I have some catching up to do! :)

Is using a pre-made engine these days a bigger selling point than making games with frameworks and API's?

It depends a lot on the kind of job you want to do. If you want a higher-level gameplay type job, using a prefab engine is fine, since that's closer to what your daily routine would be anyways. If you're more interested in lower-level stuff, tech demos are a good way to do.

Forum FAQ. Read it.

Life circumstances can make things easier or harder. Whatever your specific circumstances in life happen to be can make it easier or more difficult to get a job in the industry.

It looks like the OP is still quite near the middle of the bell curve for game programmers.

New jobs are relatively scarce, demand far outstrips supply in this field. This depresses wages and makes it harder to break in. That's just the nature of this industry. Keep applying, keep improving your skills, be prepared to move (not with a paid corporate relocation package).

Thanks for the advice, Frob. Looks like I am just going to continue my projects while I find a different programming job. There's one possibly lined up for me that will take me towards desktop-based software.

Glad to know that age isn't a very crucial factor in the industry. Also, as someone who has worked for and has seen three start-up companies implode after a year of working for them, I'm used to salary cuts and preparing for other big company shake-ups.

People tend to end up as "Senior" in the game industry relatively rapidly, in significant part because the industry *bleeds* experienced talent because of work/life balance and quality of life issues.

People tend to end up as "Senior" in the game industry relatively rapidly, in significant part because the industry *bleeds* experienced talent because of work/life balance and quality of life issues.

... and because of low wages relative to other fields, and because of (both intentional and unintentional) age discrimination, both combine with the frequent layoffs to make it progressively harder to stay in the industry as you age.

So when the quarterly layoffs are announced, studios often fire a large number of the more senior developers because they cost more. They are also less likely to rehire the experienced developers thanks to the lower wages. Age discrimination means many studios won't look at your resume when you are "overexperienced".

Then these developers start hunting the job listings and see they can earn 30% more, 50% more, in some cases even double the wage plus big benefits.

I switch in and out between the game industry every few years with contract work. The wage gap is pretty severe for me around age 40. In the games industry my business card said "lead programmer" when I was in my 20s, and many "senior" titles are handed out before age 35. Outside the games industry "senior" doesn't usually enter the job title until age 50 or so.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement