Sign in to follow this  

Best C# Book (NO ONLINE BOOKS/GUIDES)

This topic is 1112 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello,

So I'm basically trying to find out what book for C# is the best. I don't want just a reference book, but something to go in-depth and explain how everything works. I want something that'll teach me programming logic and everything there is to C# in a friendly manner. Please recommend books only if you own them and used them to learn the language. I know the basics of C#, but it's my first language, so keep that in mind. I do not want any online guides as I want something physical instead of scouring the internet for something. It'd also be best if the book is on Amazon.

Thanks

Edited by Ovicior

I keep Pro C# 2010 and the .Net 4 Platform (fifth edition) on my desk. I use it as a reference, but you could probably work through it a-chapter-at-a-time. It doesn't teach you to make games, though; it's very dry C# but it has a lot of example code and is pretty comprehensive. Keep in mind that no one book can fully cover everything you can do with a programming language, and different authors will tackle the same problem from different angles.

Also, the internet is a great resource. I use it all the time when I'm using new tools or those I haven't used in a while. I would recommend using the internet to answer a lot of the more basic questions, as most have been asked and answered before. 

Finally, under the Community tab, GameDev.net offers reviews and synopses of programming books. That might have some recommendations that I can't give. 

Edited by NoAdmiral

I have Beginning Visual C# 2010 (Wrox), it's not bad. There are probably a few C# books that are going to be fine, insofar as they thoroughly cover a lot of the language. And it's great to always have a C# book (even if it is boring with it's examples) sitting around for quick reference or learning some aspect of the language that you've never bothered to investigate. I'd love a C# book that is as quantitative as these text books but in context of game-development.

This topic is 1112 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.