Your opinion on my game please

Started by
5 comments, last by Krohm 9 years, 4 months ago
Hello everyone.
I wanted to show you a small game that I designed and made with two other friends. I want you to give me your opinion about it and point out things on which I can improve.
Here is the game http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/35818360/ Thank you.
Advertisement

It's pretty good, can't really criticise it as only has two levels and it's pretty basic design/gameplay. I think it works, keep the first riddle easy as you have and then you could increase the difficulty in following levels, that's a tricky part of level design though, finding a reasonable level of difficulty for a range of people.

Things to improve

Wasn't obvious I there was a clue by reading the door. Once I read the clue, I didn't actually figure out the riddle. The only image on the buttons I recognized was the star. I had no clue what images were on the other two buttons. I just tried each combination of buttons until it worked.

I don't see the need of taking over the player's controls and retrieving the sword for them. Let the player get the sword themselves

I had no feedback if I was damaging the mummies. It also seemed like my attack didn't have enough reach to effectively fight them without them touching me, but they weren't that threatening so I just left them alone and went straight to breaking the statue.

The character art of both the player and the mummies visual style don't fit the atmosphere of the level design and story.

Also, don't use copyrighted media from other games.

Things I liked.

The controls work well. The interface and menus work well. You do a good job of being brief with text. The atmosphere of the rooms felt good and seem consistent with the story. My favorite part was after grabbing the sword and seeing the sarcophaguses opened up. I had an, "oh crap, what is going to happen" moment there.

Overall, good work so far. I hope I don't seem too negative about the game, I just wanted to give honest feedback so it can be even better.

My current game project Platform RPG

Yes, happycoder gave you a better, constructively critical reply. I am not claiming to be a level deisgner but I do agree with him.

But retrieving your own sword and the fact that you don't really have any indication when killing the mummies is something to work on.

Likewise, I think that HappyCoder has said pretty much everything that I'm inclined to say; however, if I may so reiterate:

The controls seemed good, and I enjoyed wandering the rooms looking for clues and attempting to solve the puzzles; the appearance of the mummies was a good moment.

Some of the clues weren't terribly obvious, and the icons on the plates in the first room were a little difficult to make out: the pentagram was clear, the many-headed dragon was somewhat clear (perhaps aided by a degree of familiarity with the imagery involved), but I'm not at all sure of what the last plate depicted.

The mummy combat lacked feedback and danger. If I may make a few suggestions: first, the character could use a dedicated "attack" animation, so that attacks are differentiated from movement; second, it would help to have some idea of when one is hitting an enemy, even if it's just via a small particle effect or animation on the part of the mummies; third, it might be a good idea to make the mummies dangerous--allow them to attack back.

Finally, it would probably be more effective to allow the player to collect the sword themselves, keeping them immersed, allowing them to explore, and giving them a little more agency.

... so I just left them alone and went straight to breaking the statue.

In my case I fought the mummies, and was given a "to be continued" screen--I wasn't even aware that anything else was available to do.

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

My Twitter Account: @EbornIan

Likewise, I think that HappyCoder has said pretty much everything that I'm inclined to say; however, if I may so reiterate:

The controls seemed good, and I enjoyed wandering the rooms looking for clues and attempting to solve the puzzles; the appearance of the mummies was a good moment.

Some of the clues weren't terribly obvious, and the icons on the plates in the first room were a little difficult to make out: the pentagram was clear, the many-headed dragon was somewhat clear (perhaps aided by a degree of familiarity with the imagery involved), but I'm not at all sure of what the last plate depicted.

The mummy combat lacked feedback and danger. If I may make a few suggestions: first, the character could use a dedicated "attack" animation, so that attacks are differentiated from movement; second, it would help to have some idea of when one is hitting an enemy, even if it's just via a small particle effect or animation on the part of the mummies; third, it might be a good idea to make the mummies dangerous--allow them to attack back.

Finally, it would probably be more effective to allow the player to collect the sword themselves, keeping them immersed, allowing them to explore, and giving them a little more agency.

&nbs

That's what I got/thought, will have another look later.

It seems to me you are colliding hitboxes in screen space somehow. This causes the adventurer to push buttons when his feet are currently off the button.

I'm not very much into pixelish games but it looks solid.

Previously "Krohm"

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement