Programming Glossary?

Started by
3 comments, last by OmegaRigel 22 years, 5 months ago
Ok, I realize I suck @ reading code....Mainly because I don''t understand the point of classes, etc. (Because the first editable game I played, the editor made everything intialize for you like when you set a flag it did all the crap) I need to learn how to "read" code. Who knows where I can find a huge website of terms and how they are used and why? Btw, if someone could give me a link to a Tetris .cpp code, It would be helpful. I could scan through each line and check the glossary so I would force myself to figure out how it worked.
*Pulls Out Virus* You will not defeat me, Bill Gates! :P
Advertisement
Game Dictionary defines a whole lot of terms used in the game industry. It may help you.
Are you looking for:

a) programming terms i.e. words and phrases used in the programming industry

or

b) articles describing how to program in, say, C++ i.e. syntax, commands etc.?

If a), the Game dictionary is a great resource.

I have a feeling you meant b), because you want to go through some Tetris source code. If that''s the case, I recommend that you try to get some books on C++ (you wanted a cpp file, so you must want to learn C++). IMHO that''s the best way to learn. But maybe someone else will be able to direct you to really good some web-resources.
B) I really need an online resource. I''d rather not spend money until I''m 100% ready to start codin''.
*Pulls Out Virus* You will not defeat me, Bill Gates! :P
It appears that your problem isn''t reading code, but understanding what it is doing. Typically this is caused by getting ahead of yourself. For instance, trying to write Tetris before you fully understand the language. There aren''t any solutions, or online resources specifically for this problem. It stems from trying to do too much too fast. The only real solution to this problem is to learn the language, the best way to do this is to buy a book on the LANGUAGE (not game programming) or to find an online book of some sort. Once you''ve finished the examples in the book you should continue to write code until you feel comfortable using what you''ve learned. Then "reading code" won''t seem some cumbersome, and confusing.
Joseph FernaldSoftware EngineerRed Storm Entertainment.------------------------The opinions expressed are that of the person postingand not that of Red Storm Entertainment.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement