Learning to create Art - by Riuthamus

Started by
57 comments, last by zizulot 6 years, 4 months ago

I apologize for the delay, getting this bad boy up and going is taking some time. With deployment schedules and moves I am a bit swamped. The videos are completed I just need to go over them with sound. I took one of the other members advice and recorded without sound. I will dub the sound over and should create a more clean and less lengthy video. I do not have an ETA on this set of videos but I can tell you my goal is to have them before the 15th of Jan. I will post once I get back to the shore side of the United States. (On a ship with the USN :P )

Advertisement
Thanks for the update. I think you've done a great job so far considering you have so much going on. Thank you for your service.

Maybe someone with more time would like to continue the series?

Maybe someone with more time would like to continue the series?

Hmm. I've given art lessons of various kinds, but I'd have no freaking clue how to make a video like this. (Well I don't own a video camera, so if I made a video at all I'd have to make the kind where the computer records whats on the screen.) I use completely different hardware and software too (mouse+Inkscape mainly) so that would probably confuse people.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

It started off good anyway. Oh Well. Off to greener grass.

I just got to hawaii and have my new laptop (that can handle using recording software)! I am very sorry for the delay on all of this but moving is never a simple process and almost always comes with unexpected delays. I also started the process to purchase my new house so that has kept me rather busy in the afternoons. I am looking to start this back up (I will have a background of a hotel! LMAO) shortly. I do apologize for those who have been waiting patiently.

Hmm. I've given art lessons of various kinds, but I'd have no freaking clue how to make a video like this. (Well I don't own a video camera, so if I made a video at all I'd have to make the kind where the computer records whats on the screen.) I use completely different hardware and software too (mouse+Inkscape mainly) so that would probably confuse people.

Thanks for the offer, I promise to put more time into this though so somebody doesnt have to come in and try to fill the void! :) The sentiment is appreciated.

I just got to hawaii and have my new laptop (that can handle using recording software)! I am very sorry for the delay on all of this but moving is never a simple process and almost always comes with unexpected delays. I also started the process to purchase my new house so that has kept me rather busy in the afternoons. I am looking to start this back up (I will have a background of a hotel! LMAO) shortly. I do apologize for those who have been waiting patiently.

Thanks for the offer, I promise to put more time into this though so somebody doesnt have to come in and try to fill the void! smile.png The sentiment is appreciated.

Oh, that's cool. smile.png Well, I'm around if at some point you want to discuss lesson plans or brainstorm topics... just PM me.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

That actually woud be pretty nifty! Thanks for the offer as I will most certainly be hitting you up.

Shapes is indeed one of the core essentials. I hope you would have started from drawing lines first though. At the end of the day, all curves are just lines. One thing I had trouble with when drawing life objects were the directions in which the lines went (especially when drawing 3D curved surfaces). I like your tutorials though.

Thank you!

They call me the Tutorial Doctor.

Several styles of art don't use lines at all; strokes, sure, but not actual lines. Painting (or digital painting), along with traditional charcoal and pastel techniques, tend to regard lines as something that doesn't really exist in nature (or rather, how we see nature through our eyes); maybe usable for your rough set-up work, but should be completely covered up or erased in the final piece. Traditional sculpture also doesn't really use lines, except in the case where you are inscribing decoration into the surface of a sculpture.

On the other hand, lines are regarded as integral to cartoon styles, perspective drawings and formal drafting, calligraphy, knotwork/openwork, and 3D sculpting. Perhaps fibercrafts too, if you regard a thread or strand of yarn as a line...

Me personally, my early art education focused on line-based cartoon styles, and I pretty much had to learn how to create an image all over again when I started painting.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement