Sign in to follow this  

MonoGame effects and Windows 7

This topic is 1108 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have started porting some of my XNA code to MonoGame and so far all my assets have compiled well and are usable in the program except for custom effects. The documentation says to use the MonoGame Effect content processor as well as select the correct configuration for your platform, so I did that for my effects.

I select "Windows" from the configuration and build the content, but when I start the program, I get the following exception: "The MGFX effect is the wrong profile for this platform!" Going back to the project properties, I see the configuration is back on "PSM" since it's the active platform, so I can't tell whether or not the shader did correctly compile for Windows.

Two things I'd like to know:

Why is the Active configuration default to the PSM platform and how do I change the Active configuration?

Is it ideal to build with MonoGame on Windows 7 or should I just stick with XNA for builds on Windows 7? I've noticed that many MonoGame tutorials are geared towards Windows 8 and other platforms where XNA isn't supported.

Edited by CC Ricers

MonoGame uses DX11 so I'd stick with it even for Windows projects.

Did you try the new Pipeline Tool for building your assets? To get it download the latest development branch and install it. You'll find Pipeline.exe in C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\MonoGame\v3.0\Tools.

I am currently using "MonoGame Effect" to build the effects in the content pipeline. Do you know if my "wrong profile for this platform" has anything to do with my following question?

Why does the Active configuration default to the PSM platform and how do I change the Active configuration?

I remember a long time ago I found a way to add the Profile dropdown in one of my toolbars. This let me quickly change build targets to different profiles and platforms, so I could keep track of where it's building to. But I had to re-install VS 2010 for Windows Phone and don't know how to add it again.

Pipeline.exe crashes even when trying to build content that I know should work without a problem (like PNG image files), so I guess that's a no-go for now. I downloaded it from the latest development build.

Looks like I'm moving back to XNA for now. Getting the content pipeline to work well for custom FX files will slow me down more at this point. If I'll go multi-platform it will be when my game is done or almost done and hopefully by then MonoGame will have a much smoother content pipeline process.

This topic is 1108 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.