Game Design Theory: Smartphone MMO Strategy Game

Started by
13 comments, last by Unduli 9 years, 4 months ago

Why smartphones? It makes no sense, just make it browser based and it will be used by various devices (my MMOs were designed for desktop yet I see a very significant number of players from various mobile phones, even for games where I have zero support of these, nowadays - with huge smatphones screens - it's almost no difference to the user it seems). Two things to remember: include some mode to disable pictures (I dunno why but the players frequently asked me to do it :)) and do not rely on tooltips only (you can't see these on mobiles).

I can't resist this opportunity to dump links to some of my MMOs :) Feel free to examine them (note some of these are online for 9 years now, so they do have some survival traits you might want to copy). Especially observe how the social/group behaviour was mixed with the traditional gameplay without giving the feel of a "Farmville".

http://www.lordsgame.com/ (notice the small "smartphone" button at the very top, click it to switch between smartphone/desktop mode)

http://europe1300.eu/

http://www.samuraimmorpg.com/

http://www.moonstone-rpg.com/

What worries me is lack of any sort of "social" components in your posts (what players do with/to other players). If you are going to make the game just as if you were making a singleplayer/multiplayer PC game you will fail... MMOs are a completely different beasts, yes they share some things, but a single/multi strategy and MMO strategy is soo different it's almost a different genre.

Also you need to answer yourself the question if the game is going to be everlasting (incredibly hard to make a strategy game that way, better for RPGs) or will have rounds/eras/ages (periodic wipeaut - it allows very nice mechanics to be introduced and overall strategy is much more meaningful then).

Stellar Monarch (4X, turn based, released): GDN forum topic - Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Advertisement

@Acharis Hey there !! I think that's really a good point you've got there about web-browser vs smartphone app. I will discuss about it in a sec. Also, about the social aspect or the MMO part of it as well. Thanks for the links, btw :) Alas, I wouldn't want a server wipe/reset so often. But if I can think of something like a Replay+ where player can sort of restart but with small advantages each time. Hmmm...

This game.... Gahhh, I need to come up with a prototype name at least, I suppose I have to balance it out so that players don't gain advantage for being online for long period of time. Instead, the advantage should come from how often the player comes online.

• In many MMO smartphone strategy games, the player cannot be attacked while they are online (unless it's over 8hrs or something). That way the player is rewarded extra protection time by being online... Something smartphone user will have disadvantages for running out of phone battery, while webbrowser can stay online for the whole day.

I suppose I can have it so that player's village can be raided at anytime, offline or not. It doesn't make much different if player's offline. So, yeah, sure. Web-browser is fine :) Also, I can release Graphic assets for players to download, so images are loaded from their hard-drive instead (save up bandwidth and loading time.)

The Social Aspect aka the MMO

• Player can Scout, Raid and Attack other players' village. (via matchmaking)
  • In retaliation, captured scout, raider and attackers can be tortured so a direct-counter attack can be launched. (as well as counter-raid)
  • The 12 warlords will also give player quest to raid/attack other players' villages under other warlords' protection.
  • At certain level/research, a Player can join up with one of the 3 Kingdoms/factions, which will go to War with another; weekly war time or something. Each player can contribute Heroes to passively participate in the war, raising that Kingdom's war effort. Reward gets distributed to each player per week.
  • Once a player belong to a kingdom, player can no longer raid players in the same faction.
  • Note that a player can switch faction after some time, with a single-player quest or something.
  • Players can then form guilds as long as they belong to the same Kingdom.
  • Each guild can also participate in the Kingdom Warfare, but with better reward and organization. Each guild is given task to attack other kingdom's strongholds. Players will coordinate the attack themselves.
  • Each guild can get a hold of Guild Stronghold as well. (if players can defend their stronghold, each member gets reward)
  • Players in the same guild can Hire extra guards/patrols or attackers from the guild. (funding goes to the guild)
  • There will be trading in the game. Players can trade resources with other players especially those in the same guild.
  • There will also be side mission for guild to complete. Think of it like single-player campaign, but with guild effort.

Attacking Soldiers that survive the attack; go home alive or lost forever

In many smartphone strategy games, deployed soldiers onto the battlefield are gone afterward, even if the battle is won and they actually survive through it. This might be to ensure that there's more to it than just 'deploy every best soldier and swarm the enemy with great number' strategy, or lack there of. This is also used as a gold sink for players as well as removing resource from the game and slowing down player's progress. It also encourage players to spend Gem (real money) to speed up troops training time.

Though I think there are better way to make this work without getting rid of those soldiers.

• It should cost money to deploy each soldier, not just cost to launch an attack. That means you can deploy large forces if you want to/or need to, but you will spend that much more resources as well. And you might not get enough back (plundered loots/rewards) to justify the cost of the attack.
  • There could be Rest time for each deployed soldier. During which time, they could be just flat out 'unavailable to deploy'.
  • ------ Or they could still be deployed but with injuries sustained from previous engagement.
  • ------ or both resting time and then recovery time.
  • The resting time could be determined by how long the soldiers were in the previous battle. The recovery time depends on how much damaged/injured they are.
  • This would also mean that your own base/village is more vulnerable to other players' attack after you attack someone.

Back. I spent some time testing it out on Pen n Paper board game.

I'm going to switch from 12 Warlords to 12 Deities instead; and here're why.

• Make more sense. Why have 12 warlords AND 3 factions. Usually one would destroy the other.
  • Make benefits/bonus of picking one more powerful.
  • Sending Aid is more interesting as well.
  • So is Revenge Attack.

So, say, out of those 12 deities, some are God of Earth, Goddess of Sky. Goddess of Fire. God of Water, etc etc etc.

Worshiping God of Earth

• Extra Farming/Harvesting Yields
  • Extra Mining Yields
  • Trees grow back faster
  • If Raided, your attacker suffer Penalty to Farming and Mining for 48hrs.

Worshiping Goddess of Sky

• Champions with Ranged-Weapons get extra damage and range.
  • Generate Research Points faster
  • Faster Scouting (clear Sky)
  • During Raided/Attacked, the attacker's soldiers get randomly thunder-struck.

Worshiping Goddess of the Moon

• Champions require less Resting time.
  • During Raided, your defending champions get bonus to line of sight. (Full Moon for them)

After Worshiping a certain deity for a week, player receives a specific Gemstone/Crystal related to that deity. With enough Crystals, players can build Altars/Temples to greatly enhance benefits. Players also receive Crystal from raiding other players under protection of deity, or destroy other players' altars/temples.

With Temples/Altars built, players can have champions actively work at the buildings for greater benefits.

Why smartphones? It makes no sense, just make it browser based and it will be used by various devices (my MMOs were designed for desktop yet I see a very significant number of players from various mobile phones, even for games where I have zero support of these, nowadays - with huge smatphones screens - it's almost no difference to the user it seems). Two things to remember: include some mode to disable pictures (I dunno why but the players frequently asked me to do it smile.png) and do not rely on tooltips only (you can't see these on mobiles).

I can't resist this opportunity to dump links to some of my MMOs smile.png Feel free to examine them (note some of these are online for 9 years now, so they do have some survival traits you might want to copy). Especially observe how the social/group behaviour was mixed with the traditional gameplay without giving the feel of a "Farmville".

http://www.lordsgame.com/ (notice the small "smartphone" button at the very top, click it to switch between smartphone/desktop mode)

http://europe1300.eu/

http://www.samuraimmorpg.com/

http://www.moonstone-rpg.com/

What worries me is lack of any sort of "social" components in your posts (what players do with/to other players). If you are going to make the game just as if you were making a singleplayer/multiplayer PC game you will fail... MMOs are a completely different beasts, yes they share some things, but a single/multi strategy and MMO strategy is soo different it's almost a different genre.

Also you need to answer yourself the question if the game is going to be everlasting (incredibly hard to make a strategy game that way, better for RPGs) or will have rounds/eras/ages (periodic wipeaut - it allows very nice mechanics to be introduced and overall strategy is much more meaningful then).

Though depending on how game will be tailored , web based games are theoretically platform agnostic but in reality have several issues. First of all, it is nightmare to maintain browser support (especially if you intend to include prehistoric Android browsers as well) , also performance hit occurs in comparison to native app.

If it will be something like Clash of Clans or so (where a map involves) ie heavy canvas usage , it is wiser to check wrappers like CocoonJS , Titanium Appcelerator etc. as they also allow you to use sensors, HTML Device APIs aren't widely used atm.

On my own, because my game is mostly a browser game (glorified spreadsheet) , I am ok with semi-liquid responsive design atm. But in time, I'll have to use a wrapper or have native platform specific apps because there is another issue of assets, if assets are tens of MBs , web isn't the best way to serve for smartphones. This is why my initial plan is simple wrapper with asset manager where game can get assets from app and then native apps if needed.

PS : I think they ask you to disable images either because of limited bandwidth (GPRS/EDGE) or design inconsististincies.

mostates by moson?e | Embrace your burden

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement