New Here, Help me get started (Music)

Started by
5 comments, last by SKLord 9 years, 4 months ago

Hello, i have been doin' some piano music for a while now, and i got to this point. I want to start earn some basic money from it, just for fun for motivation. Please explain to me how this things work, where do i publicate my music, and how to do with the copyright law, for my music?

thanks for the help

Advertisement
I don't think this belongs in a technical forum, even for beginners.
Moving...

how to do with the copyright law, for my music?

Any music you create is automatically protected by copyright laws. You can also register with ASCAP for greater protection.

where do i publicate my music, and how to do with the copyright law, for my music?

It all depends on what you want to do with your music. Are you wanting to sell it? Like CDs and such? Are you wanting to get it placed in commercials, games and films? Are you wanting to make it available for licensing to indie devs? Are you wanting to use it as promo/demo reel material in hopes of getting hired in the future?

ASCAP and BMI can help with placement and royalties. CD Baby, and other sites like it, can help with physical and digital distribution. Filling out paperwork to secure copyright with the patent office, if you're in the US, can help with having official record of your work and it's copyright. What CCH said is true - anything you write is already copyrighted by you but if you haven't filed it with the government office, it can impact how much you're able to sue for IF your work was stolen. Sites like YouLicense or MusicSupervisor can help with placement as well as indie devs.

You need to be more specific about what your goals are so then you can take the appropriate steps to making it happen. Best of luck!

Nathan Madsen
Nate (AT) MadsenStudios (DOT) Com
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

What kind of piano are you using and do you have any samples of your work?

Sorry for the late response, I am so new to this website so i couldn't find my content, i trough it was removed.. But found it trough top left (My Content) option.

where do i publicate my music, and how to do with the copyright law, for my music?

It all depends on what you want to do with your music. Are you wanting to sell it? Like CDs and such? Are you wanting to get it placed in commercials, games and films? Are you wanting to make it available for licensing to indie devs? Are you wanting to use it as promo/demo reel material in hopes of getting hired in the future?

ASCAP and BMI can help with placement and royalties. CD Baby, and other sites like it, can help with physical and digital distribution. Filling out paperwork to secure copyright with the patent office, if you're in the US, can help with having official record of your work and it's copyright. What CCH said is true - anything you write is already copyrighted by you but if you haven't filed it with the government office, it can impact how much you're able to sue for IF your work was stolen. Sites like YouLicense or MusicSupervisor can help with placement as well as indie devs.

You need to be more specific about what your goals are so then you can take the appropriate steps to making it happen. Best of luck!

My first goal is to get started, my second goal is to publicate my first song. So anything to get started with, but i think it would be fun to do for Indie games personally

What kind of piano are you using and do you have any samples of your work?

Before you watch this, i want you to know , this kind of music was made from FL Studio, and has no feels to it, its more like a trance piano thing.

I am going to do much more advanced music with mic record from a real piano.

Its not epic, its basic

Goals STEPS questions:

1. Get started

- Should I make my first demo song or should I get contacted with the developers first?

- Where can i get contact with "music buying" people?

2. My kind of music

- I am composing sad piano songs , i dont want to compare me with other piano composers, but i do compose similare music style to Brain Crain.

BRAIN CRAIN =

- With that said emotional piano music = what should/could i aim for? Music videos, indie games,.. ecx, what do you think i should aim for?

3. Sell it, or Free?

- Just to get started and get some connection, i tough about giving it for free?

- Make a web site for all my songs like Brian Crain? (www.briancrain.com) or should I wait?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement