Image database (program for artists)

Started by
4 comments, last by Seriema 22 years, 5 months ago
Hey everyone! My friend(s) and I we''re thinking of making a game together. The "problem" is that my friend have drawn about 200 pictures, which is really hard to keep track of. I''m not meaning grafics to use in the game, I mean concept-art. Either way! Since I''m the programmer I was thinking of making a simple database program, to keep track of the images. Full with info and stuff Are there any über cool ones out there? Or/and some demand amongst you artist to have such a program? "How much would it cost? Of course it would be free! :D }+TITANIUM+{
[ ThumbView: Adds thumbnail support for DDS, PCX, TGA and 16 other imagetypes for Windows XP Explorer. ] [ Chocolate peanuts: Brazilian recipe for home made chocolate covered peanuts. Pure coding pleasure. ]
Advertisement
I think the only thing close to what you''re talking about would be Alien Brain...

www.alienbrain.com

which includes photoshop/maya/3dsmax/lightwave/visual studio plugins for version control and all sorts of other cool stuff...

unfortunately it''s very expensive and so beyond the reach of most of us amatuers... a cheaper (or free) system would be cool. Especially if it incorporated some kind of version control features...

so I think you should do it... good luck and keep us posted
Yes! I remember seeing that homepage. It seems reeeaaallly advanced, with Photoshop integration and stuff.

What I was thinking was a simpler database program. You actually just put your image in a folder and the program notices it next time you start. The plans have been basted on concept art for an RPG but I think it could be implemented to use with art that''s going to be used in the game.

The main categories we''re going to be:
¤ Character
¤ Weapon
¤ Protection (shielding, kind of like weapon but opposite)
¤ Items
Each category has different infos, for example the Character:
~ First name
~ Last name
~ Height
~ Weight
~ Background story
~ Date of birth

The image has 4 of these "links", so if the image contains a character holding a weapon the image could be linked to both a character and a weapon (and filling in the info for both). That way every character (or whatever) can have several images, and two categories (or more) can be linked to the same image.

I was thinking of the possibility to make the image a "part of the program", but that would make the program grow in size and you wouldn''t be able to copy files from the folder as easily.

What do you guys think? Should the images be "merged" with the program? Probably in a separate file.

About that version check, it was a good idea I didn''t think about. But HOW do one check which version is the newest, the one in the program or the one found in some folder? Some kind of date would have to be implemented.

You guys/girls are the artists! You must know what you''d like to see in a simple "take care of my images" program? Gimme some suggestions and I hope to start soon and finish it around Christmas! But I really need input! :D

}+TITANIUM+{
[ ThumbView: Adds thumbnail support for DDS, PCX, TGA and 16 other imagetypes for Windows XP Explorer. ] [ Chocolate peanuts: Brazilian recipe for home made chocolate covered peanuts. Pure coding pleasure. ]
haven''t anyone of you guys thought of sorting all your art? Storing it in a nice way?

please give me some ideas on how YOU (the artist) would like to organize your images.

}+TITANIUM+{
I think that it is a good idea and have been looking at some programs similar to what you are talking about. But don''t just restrict yourself to images. Try to add any type of file - .x, .3ds, .doc, .zip, etc... Whatever type of files you are plannin on using.

Plus - I don''t know if you are talking about an online database, are you? Because that would be so much more beneficial to I think most of us here, who aren''t located under one roof.

-Luxury
Hmmm... Yeah, you might be right. An online version would be better. But I don''t have either the time or money (server) to make such a program. But the program I was thinking of was going to be a simple database for YOU the artist to keep track of your images (.jpg, .bmp, .x, etc). My biggest concern is HOW it would be visualized, how would YOU the artist like to see a database of your images? With a good search function of course, but what more?

}+TITANIUM+{

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement