A game idea, need help please

Started by
4 comments, last by 2ManyDimensionZ 9 years, 4 months ago
Hey everybody, so I want to create this game. I know it is impossible for one person, but I want to make the concetps at least...For fun.
So it would be a fantasy, terafforming, sandbox, pvp game. There would be about 7 races, at the beginning you would choose where you
want to start. I would create the character, choose abilities and spawn. When you spawn you have nothing, so you will have to do quests,
hunt, lumber, sell....All these things to get more expeciences and money. There would be a lot of abilities to improve, similar ones
that are in Mount and Blade. Plus extra such as mining, farming etc. The thing is, after specific amount of experience and money,
you will be able to hire troops and make the army, build your own castle, city, where the troops will live. You will have food stats,
also you will need to hire villagers to farm etc. So it would also have some basics of a RTS or a City building game. These are the things
i surely would like to have, but I am really not sure how to do the PVP adn the building.
I would like each race to have theyre own culture, and style of buildings etc. But for that I would need to have premade building already,
where you would just need to gather the recources, which I dont want. You should be able to build whatever you want to, so I am not really
sure with that. Also would you actually let people buy the terrain and lock it, so people except your enemies cannot destroy it ?
For the pvp, i am not sure if it should be a game where you would attack enemy race teritorries and capture them, or you could just attack,
without capturing anything....you would just destroy it or build your own thing. The thing that worries me the most is attacking other cities,
should a city be able to attack only if one ( you can have more owners ) of the owners is online, or anytime and lets the NPCs deal with you ?
Tha would be pretty unfair for the defender. Also, if you would commit a raid against another faction, and you would attack somebodys farm house,
should you be able to destroy it ? Or just rob and then leave. ( I would go with destroying...). The thing about pvp is, that I would like the
game to be big, but that would make small pvps, just like one persons army against anothers...so should there be like huge pvp events and stuff ?
Now, should people be able to make theyre own weapons (like relly custom ones) or should they follow only some manuals they will purchase at a blacksmith ?
I mean...that would again go away from the sandbox genre, but as I already said, I want people to make or build whatever they want.
I have more ideas, but these are the basics, please tell me what you think, and what you would change/ improve. I am also sorry for my English...Its not
my native language :DDD THANK YOU A LOT..
Advertisement

You got a pretty mix of different game kinds and genres, which makes it really difficult to imagine a game. It is like saying, that you want to design a car which can dive, drive and fly and which is cheap enough, so that the middle class can afford it. Yes, it might be possible in the future, but I can't really see a way to realize it now or in the near future.

Best to pick up one core feature, you really find the most important, define it, write it down (GDD=game design document) and then try to extend your idea by adding more features to the core feature. It is important to actually define game mechanism, to write down a vision, how does it look like, how does it play.

To make it more clear, take the army feature of your game. Here are two, of many possible options:

1. Your army is only represeted by a simple number, which represents the army power on all of your land. You can buy new soldiers and the army counter increases. Combat is an instant event, the winner is calculate by the formula winner(armyA,armyB) = ...magic formula..., the winner looses 25% of his army, the looser 75%.

2. Your army is represented by individual soldiers, all have their own live, family, home. You can walk through your town like in skyrim, you can talk with your people. Combat is a massive battle where you can join, watching and fighting in a 3rd person perspective. You are the king, the ruler. All fighters will react to you in a special way, trying to protect or to kill you. Combat is executed in an interactive way, wounds are realistically displayed and will hinder your action...

As you can see, these are really two different games, which have the same idea. The first one is more a RTS game (which seems realisable at the first glance). The second one is more of a simulation, which will be much harder to realize. As soon as you add more features to the game, it gets ugly really quickly. The complexity will increase, game features will battle each other (eg from a RTS game view, you would need a top-down view with lot of number, from a 3rd person game view, you would prefer a more immersive design etc.), the vision will blur etc.

You got a pretty mix of different game kinds and genres, which makes it really difficult to imagine a game. It is like saying, that you want to design a car which can dive, drive and fly and which is cheap enough, so that the middle class can afford it. Yes, it might be possible in the future, but I can't really see a way to realize it now or in the near future.

Thank you a lot for the answer. I know its hard to imagine, thats why I posted it here. I really needed help with making it one genre, not mix of 3-4. I like the second idea of yours about the town. You would be the ruler, have NPCs work for you, command the troops from the city where to go etc. I think this is possible to imagine ( really hard to creato tho i know). So, if another player would want to attack my city, and I wouldnt be online at the moment...should the npcs fight him, or he should not be able to attack. And if he wins, will he be able to destroy the city, or jsut rob ?...

I think If I get these answers answered one by one, I can put together few ideas that will actually make sense =)

Of the different genres you are touching, the one you seem most interested in is PvP raiding and war of attrition, on a very strategic level of detail. The concern with being online to defend cities is hard to understand: it's obvious that armies must fight in automation mode as well as when they are guided by the player to avoid the need for micromanagement. An online player whose city is under attack could make last minute adjustments or counterattack, with only a marginal advantage over AI-controlled defense. If there is a hero representing the player's character, he needs to fight under AI control too.

Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru

Sounds like a game that is vast in scope and i think to stand much chance of progress you might have to simplify a little.

If you can split it down into stages you might have a good chance of completion.

I do have some questions though, firstly what do you plan to contribute to the game except ideas? Can you program, produce art or music?

If so what is your experience? Have you created or helped with any other game in the past?

This would help me at least in knowing what you are looking for apart from design advice and what we can help you with going forward smile.png

Sounds like a game that is vast in scope and i think to stand much chance of progress you might have to simplify a little.

If you can split it down into stages you might have a good chance of completion.

I do have some questions though, firstly what do you plan to contribute to the game except ideas? Can you program, produce art or music?

If so what is your experience? Have you created or helped with any other game in the past?

This would help me at least in knowing what you are looking for apart from design advice and what we can help you with going forward smile.png

Thanks, I am more like looking for helping with ideas, than help with the technical stuff. I think I will try to think of another game, this is too mixed....Or perhaps, if you have any ideas feel free to share them :))

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement