Win 10 Tech Preview Visual Studio 2015 and Direct2D tutorial

Started by
5 comments, last by Zaoshi Kaba 9 years, 4 months ago

So, I copied and pasted the over 20 sections of the 'sample' code from direct x, which is now integrated into windows sdk....and the code doesn't run, because of a simple error in a directx .h file. Here's the main code if anyone can help with this: (see attachment)

Anyways, if anyone wants to try to copy/paste this and compile, please let me know if it works for you. I would still be using visual c++ express 2008, but I just installed win 10 tech preview, and had to re-install visual c express 2008, and it turns out microsoft has disabled or deleted that part of their website that generates the code to register vc 2008 and 2010....fun. So I thought why not modernize and go with vc2015 ultimate...

thanks for the help in advance anyone who responds with helpful suggestions or inquiries,

jeff c

p.s. if I get something before anyone else does, I will post it here, so that newbies might not have such a hard time. I don't consider myself a newbiew programmer, but newbies with direct x exploring vc 2015 might find this puzzling/challenging...

Ok, so I didn't want to copy/paste the file into here, it looks improper.....yes, very improper, and apparently I can't upload a .cpp file to a programming forum....

let me get back to you. but if you want to reference the code that I am talking about, it's under windows api, games and graphics programming >> Creating a simple 2d Application in Windows

Advertisement

There's no attachment so I'll just list typical problems:

1. DirectX SDK comes with Windows SDK, which comes with Visual Studio. This means you don't need to install SDK separately. Visual Studio is all you need to use DirectX. If you have old SDK you will have to remove it;
  2. Microsoft got rid of D3DX, which had texture loading, meshes, and a lot of other stuff. Therefore you have to implement these yourself and old samples don't work anymore. There's DirectX Tool Kit but I think you'll still have to make some changes to make D3DX code work;
  3. DXUT is gone as well, which heavily relied on D3DX and been used in a lot code samples;
  4. Math API has been updated, so old D3DX math functions don't work. See DirectXMath.h include and MSDN.

Ok, so I didn't want to copy/paste the file into here, it looks improper.....yes, very improper, and apparently I can't upload a .cpp file to a programming forum....

http://pastebin.com/

Hello to all my stalkers.

Sorry, I was being a freak, I'm just adjusting from graveyard at work, to Noon to 8pm....forgive me for my rant/post.....

I was just venting stress because I've been using Dark GDK for so long, and it's such a simplified wrapper API for directx, that having to go back to Direct X (the last time I programmed with just direct X it was version 8 I believe.....) is a little frustrating, but don't worry .... I'll get it, but here's the attachment, I've got it in a .zip file, so hopefully that will upload.

The reason that I'm posting, is this seems quite simple, and the errors i'm getting seem quite simple, but can't quite wrap my head around the solution(s). Anyways, thanks to the whole community for just being here, and anyone who helps, thanks again.

Sincerely,

Jeff C

Why don't you post the actual error message that you are seeing? Expecting other people to download files to attempt to reproduce the error, especially when you're just providing source code with no project files or other way to ensure they will be reproducing the same environment, is rather rude.

Also, using the Windows 10 preview and the VS 2015 preview is a terrible thing to be doing if you're expecting to be building production / actual projects. There is a reason they are "previews," they are likely to be full of bugs and strange incompatibilities. You should be using stable software for your development. Previews are for evaluation purposes.

But Josh, the previews are all new and shiny... smile.png

Sean Middleditch – Game Systems Engineer – Join my team!

OceanJeff, what issue are you having?

You said there is error in "directx.h" file so I assume it doesn't compile, however it does compile for me. Though it crashes during window initialization.

If you're having trouble compiling it's probably because you installed DirectX SDK which isn't needed.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement