Graphics programming theory help - trade for web dev help/advice/work?

Started by
4 comments, last by Gavin Williams 9 years, 4 months ago

Hey all, I really want to gain some expertise in graphics programming and am trying (currently going through Real Time Rendering, and calculus on Khan Academy), but I am finding that I hit roadblocks where if I just had someone I could have a conversation with to help me clarify things, I'd be able to move a lot faster and skip over some of the frustration I'm experiencing. I can post individual questions on here I guess, but it's really hard to get the clarity I want and hone in on the answers to the questions I have without having that opportunity to have an actual back and forth conversation with someone who is experienced and knows what they are doing.

So here's my offer, if anyone is even remotely interested. I have been doing full-stack web development my entire career (1998+). I know design, I know typography, I know advanced JavaScript and CSS like the back of my hand. I know cross-browser development and responsive design. I know the .Net stack (C# in particular) very well, having used them since 1.1 in 2003, and I am well-versed in various database technologies. I feel very comfortable with general problem-solving, system design, planning and architecture. If you need any assistance or advice in any of these areas, I'd love to get you on Skype and trade some knowledge, or maybe help you out a bit with tuning up your website's design or functionality (within my skill set) in return for a bit of just general help understanding the theory. I actually really enjoy helping others learn in areas I have skills in, so trading some knowledge, or just being generally available for when you have questions would be no problem at all.

My trouble area right now is understanding lighting fundamentals. I'm getting there, but it doesn't feel intuitive at all yet, and I'm having trouble understanding some parts of the radiometry section of Real Time Rendering (if you have this book and understand its contents, that's a big plus).

At the very least it'd be nice to have a few contacts in this space that I can bounce stuff off of. Skype and Google Hangouts are my primary means of communication. Let me know.

Advertisement

Nice offer. I know what it's like when you're working by yourself and hit a roadblock. Forums are great but sometimes I wish myself I had more personal contacts to talk to about problems. I'm curious as to what platform, language and graphics framework you're using ?

I'd be happy to take you up on the offer. I have about 30 years graphic programming experience, 20 years of that professionally.

I am based in Vancouver, Canada which is -8GMT so not sure if that works for you with your location.

John

Nice offer. I know what it's like when you're working by yourself and hit a roadblock. Forums are great but sometimes I wish myself I had more personal contacts to talk to about problems. I'm curious as to what platform, language and graphics framework you're using ?

I'm using .Net, C# and SharpDX on Windows 8.1. I sort of have a general plan to [re]learn C++ but right now that seems less important than learning the fundamentals of graphics and 3D programming and applying them. Besides, the Paradox 3D engine, by the creator of SharpDX, is written entirely in C#, which gives me confidence. Did you want to swap contact details?

I'd be happy to take you up on the offer. I have about 30 years graphic programming experience, 20 years of that professionally.

I am based in Vancouver, Canada which is -8GMT so not sure if that works for you with your location.

John

Hi John, thanks for replying! I'm in Australia, and there's a good amount of overlap between our work days. My morning is your afternoon. I'm working from home currently, and I spend my spare time mostly at the computer too, so catching each other only will be pretty easy. I'll send you a PM.

My apologise for slight off-topic - you can also try to ask here on GD.net chat (apart from other spam, it is possible that you get a quick answer there).

My current blog on programming, linux and stuff - http://gameprogrammerdiary.blogspot.com

I'm in Canberra, I sent u a PM, I've used SharpDX quite a bit, and just started using Paradox. I don't have the expertise than many on here have, but I have written a fair bit of code and can help you with fundamentals like device creation, custom geometry and vertex formats, forward/deferred lighting, HLSL, pipeline configuration, building terrain, texture splatting, and more besides.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement