"The Mothership"

Started by
27 comments, last by LeandroTok 6 years, 10 months ago

"The Mothership" is the codename for a project I've been working on for a while. It's a trading card game with an exploration element set in space. After tackling many problems with its design, I finally perfected the rules, tested it with my friends and acquaintances and the feedback was overwhelmingly positive, which then made me think to expand the game, and make an online digital version of it. In the Motheship you start the game on your home planet, you acquire resource each turn which you will use to build structures, ships, recruit creatures and send them into space to discover new planets to gain more resource or attack and destroy your opponent's bases. The goal of the game is to capture your opponent's home planet.

You build your own arsenal of cards like in a traditional TCG, and it has a resource system to balance out the power of the cards and strategies, but the best thing is that the resource doesn't take up card slots in your deck (unlike Magic: the Gathering, or Pokemon)

I'm documenting the development process for "The Mothership" on Youtube, you can watch my series "Let's make a TCG" here:

I'll be updating this thread regularly and letting you guys know how everything is going on. Right now I'm designing a new batch of cards to test the latest version of the game. Also, if someone has any ideas on what to name my game, please don't be shy and post them here. =)

Keep it up!

Advertisement

Episode 2 of "Let's make a trading card game" is out on Youtube! This is turning out harder than I expected.

I've been designing cards all week, and now I'm trying to organize by rarity, color, balancing them and making sure that they interact well with each other and are fun to play with. It's really a lot of work, and as soon as I come up with a mediocre set of cards I'm going to start testing. Not yet though, at this point it will be almost impossible to play the game as intended (not broken).

I've also been thinking about the traditional rarity system that most TCG employ, and the more I've been thinking about it, the fewer points I can find to justify it. I'll probably talk more in-depth about it in the next episode.

Episode 4 of "Let's make a Trading Card Game" is finally out. I solve the cost-impact balance problem, we get to see the very first piece of Mothership card art, I show off some of my old design notes and spill the beans on ALL of the rules of the game (in the most convoluted words possible)!

Yes! Finally the exams are over and I'm back at work on the Mothership TCG! In this episode I discuss the importance of common cards, explain my three main keywords, create basic templates for the cards, print them out and test the game for the first time in real life!

Episode 6 of Let's make a trading card game is out on Youtube!
In this episode I talk about the aftermath of the first ever Mothership test session, have people over for a new test session, show off some awesome new artwork, attempt to create a data model to explain how the game works to programmers, and talk about the future kickstarter.

Episode 7 of Let's make a trading card game is out on Youtube! What do YOU think the Mothership TCG should be called? Write your ideas in the comment section grin emoticon
In this episode we test the game with the more experienced crew, I reflect on some problems that need to be fixed, show off another awesome piece of art by Vasiliy, show off my plan for this semester, and discuss possible livestreams that may happen in the future.

Let's make a trading card game: 8 is out on youtube! Do you want to play and test the game for yourself? Then stick around ' till the end of the video, there's a juicy announcement there ;)

In this episode I explain what a booster draft is, showcase two awesome paintings by Vasiliy, as well some of my concept art for the main blue humanoid race of aliens, ponder streaming and more!

Follow Multiverse on VK (russian social network): http://vk.com/club20425634
Follow Multiverse on twitter for news and updates: https://twitter.com/multiversetcg
Check out Tok's sunday streams at http://www.twitch.tv/leandrotok
Episode 9 of let's make a trading card game is up on Youtube!
In this episode I explain the math involved in creating a draftable set of cards, explain what the 10 strategies in the set do and how they work, change how the "boarding" ability works again and show off concept art doodles.

Episode 10 of let's make a trading card game is up on Youtube!
In this episode we organize a sealed event and test Multiverse's limited formats, try playing a 3-player game, I talk about luck in card games and show off some creature designs, a piece of card art, and the back of the card, as well as the logo for the game.

Episode 11 of Let's make a TCG is up on Youtube!
In this episode I showcase the Multiverse TCG logo on the card back, discuss how best to implement the game's exploration element, share my thoughts on a future Multiverse website, and show my progress on the layout of a card.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement