Intros

Started by
10 comments, last by Mate 9 years, 4 months ago

Hello,

I've got a quick question:
I see everytime in each game I start, that at the beginning there are some intros. Just like Nvidia, DirectX, the develpment teams intro and the publisher.

Now when I release a game, do I have to show these intros ? Or is it up to me ?

Thanks

Advertisement

They play them because they got some sort of contract allowing a benefit from the company and part of the deal was that the game developer would advertise.

Commonly that could be early access to hardware and to drivers, and direct support from the driver development teams.

The game company doesn't say "I really want to play the nvidia logo on my game". Instead they have some specific thing they want to take advantage of and the logo becomes part of the contract for that access.

As a prime example of this, the nvidia Physx public license has this wonderful section:

6. Attribution Requirements and Trademark License. You must provide attribution to NVIDIA.

A. You will include a reference to the PHYSX SDK and NVIDIA in any press releases for such Game that relate to NVIDIA, or in-game physics, and will identify NVIDIA as the provider of "PHYSX" (or such other term or phrase as indicated by NVIDIA from time to time).

B. For Games, Demos, and Videos that incorporate the PHYSX SDK or portions thereof, the NVIDIA
logos must appear:

a. on the back cover of the instruction manual or similar placement in an electronic file for the purpose of acknowledgement/copyright/trademark notice;
b. on external packaging;
c. during opening marquee or credits with inclusion of “NVIDIA”;
d. must appear on title marketing feature list with a specific call-out of NVIDIA PHYSX Technology
e. on the credit screen; and
f. in the “About” or “Info” box menu items (or equivalent) of all Physics Games or Applications using any portion of the PHYSX SDK.

C. Provide a quote citing the Licensee’s integration of the PHYSX SDK into the Game or Application for NVIDIA’s use in press materials and website.

D. Refer to NVIDIA’s PHYSX SDK in all press coverage referring to the use PHYSX in the development of any Game or Application.

Failure to provide attribution pursuant to this Section shall be considered a material breach of this agreement.

As a prime example of this, the nvidia Physx public license has this wonderful section:

[quote removed]

Thank you ! So I use the DirectX SDK .. I don't have to spread NVIDIA logos all over my game now ? Or is DirectX working together with NVIDIA, because DirectX is a interface, working with NVIDIA ? I'm not good in the law things .__.

So I use the DirectX SDK .. I don't have to spread NVIDIA logos all over my game now ? Or is DirectX working together with NVIDIA, because DirectX is a interface, working with NVIDIA ?

PhysX and DirectX are unrelated. The only minor similarity is that both have the letter "X" at the end of their name.

PhysX is a hardware-accelerated physics library from nvidia, that uses a chunk of the graphics card to process physics.

For all the middleware you use, whether SDL, SFML, DirectX, OpenGL, PhysX, Unity, Unreal, whatever, you need to know what those licenses require of you.

SDL, SFML, DirectX, OpenGL don't require you to show anything at startup. You still need to read their licenses (or get someone to explain them to you) because they may require something else - like making your game opensource, for example, or prohibiting commercializing your game.

Every library you use has a list of "You can't do this", "You must do that" requirements. Licenses are legal agreements: For the convenience of using a specific library, you agree to the terms of that library. Some libraries have more than one set of licenses, and you get to choose (or pay to use) which one you want.

Thankfully, most libraries use the same four or five licenses, so once you learn what those few licenses mean, you automatically understand what is required/blocked by almost any library you encounter.

Some of the licenses have very acceptable terms. Whether those terms work for your particular project depends on the nature of your project.

In general, the MIT license is very friendly, and the LGPL has a few constraints but is perfectly acceptable. GPL is to be avoided like the plague when it comes to games.

Still, they have a few minor requirements that you need to understand: None of those three require you to show logos or do any extra programming work, but they do have a couple things they don't allow you to do, and a few things you are required to do.

Right now you are probably banging your head on the desk saying, "I just want to make a freakin` game! How'd lawyers and laws and governments get involved!? This is dumb!" laugh.png

In actuality, it's not hard to learn (everything looks confusing the first time you see it!), and you don't have to take any law courses to understand it. You can learn it piece by piece as you go, it's not something you have to really study or waste time on.

All you really need to learn is, "For <license A> I can't do X. Gotcha.", "For <license B> I have to include q and y", and "My goals aren't compatible with <license C>, so I better not use that specific library."

Just minor "rules" you gradually pick up for commonly used licenses - you don't actually need to learn how to read the legal jargon.

So I use the DirectX SDK .. I don't have to spread NVIDIA logos all over my game now ? Or is DirectX working together with NVIDIA, because DirectX is a interface, working with NVIDIA ?

PhysX and DirectX are unrelated. The only minor similarity is that both have the letter "X" at the end of their name.

PhysX is a hardware-accelerated physics library from nvidia, that uses a chunk of the graphics card to process physics.

For all the middleware you use, whether SDL, SFML, DirectX, OpenGL, PhysX, Unity, Unreal, whatever, you need to know what those licenses require of you.

SDL, SFML, DirectX, OpenGL don't require you to show anything at startup. You still need to read their licenses (or get someone to explain them to you) because they may require something else - like making your game opensource, for example, or prohibiting commercializing your game.

Every library you use has a list of "You can't do this", "You must do that" requirements. Licenses are legal agreements: For the convenience of using a specific library, you agree to the terms of that library. Some libraries have more than one set of licenses, and you get to choose (or pay to use) which one you want.

Thankfully, most libraries use the same four or five licenses, so once you learn what those few licenses mean, you automatically understand what is required/blocked by almost any library you encounter.

Some of the licenses have very acceptable terms. Whether those terms work for your particular project depends on the nature of your project.

In general, the MIT license is very friendly, and the LGPL has a few constraints but is perfectly acceptable. GPL is to be avoided like the plague when it comes to games.

Still, they have a few minor requirements that you need to understand: None of those three require you to show logos or do any extra programming work, but they do have a couple things they don't allow you to do, and a few things you are required to do.

Right now you are probably banging your head on the desk saying, "I just want to make a freakin` game! How'd lawyers and laws and governments get involved!? This is dumb!" laugh.png

In actuality, it's not hard to learn (everything looks confusing the first time you see it!), and you don't have to take any law courses to understand it. You can learn it piece by piece as you go, it's not something you have to really study or waste time on.

All you really need to learn is, "For <license A> I can't do X. Gotcha.", "For <license B> I have to include q and y", and "My goals aren't compatible with <license C>, so I better not use that specific library."

Just minor "rules" you gradually pick up for commonly used licenses - you don't actually need to learn how to read the legal jargon.

Thanks for the help first.

Now as you might know is the library I use DirectX. I have to be true now ... I didn't really read the licens agreement :( . It just took too much time and I thought, that it is every time the same thing. Like don't use this library to proram killing drones, hacks, viruses(doesnt even makes sense), and so on.

So I just skipped it. But now where can I find the different licens to accept ? And has someone here experience with DirectX licenses ?

I wouldn't even know how to choose them. Do I have to contact the DirectX-Center ? I don't think so, but how to choose these licens I never saw ?

And could I add the DirectX intro, just to let it look more professional ? Because I think every really good games has this one in.

Now does somebody here know which "don't do this!" DirectX has ?

Now as you might know is the library I use DirectX. I have to be true now ... I didn't really read the licens agreement sad.png . It just took too much time and I thought, that it is every time the same thing. Like don't use this library to proram killing drones, hacks, viruses(doesnt even makes sense), and so on.

There are variations per license that are important to know. Some licenses require you to release your game's sourcecode for free (GPL for instance), others don't require that (LGPL or MIT for example).

But now where can I find the different licens to accept ?

Most libraries, like DirectX, only have one license. Some libraries have multiple licenses you can choose from. DirectX isn't one of those.

And could I add the DirectX intro, just to let it look more professional ? Because I think every really good games has this one in.

Not unless the license gives you permission to. Using their logo on your game without permission may imply to players that they "approve" of your game.

Now does somebody here know which "don't do this!" DirectX has ?

As far as I can tell, you can use DirectX for free, even commercially. However, you can't use their logo without Microsoft's permission.

To be on the safe side only do things that are explicitly allowed in the license.

Doing something not covered by the license has to be interpreted by lawyers.

As Servant of the Lord already said, using their videos and logos is not only a copyright infrigment (if not statet otherwise in the license) it could also harm their reputation because your software is so bad or gets shitstormed that their trademark also gets a reputation loss and therefore a money loss. Then things are getting serious.

However if you are only doing what is explicitly covered by the license you can always point to the license and say "I only did what was statet there". Everything other is a grey zone or covered by other laws you don't know of (like copyright).

Here is a copy of the DirectX sdk eula which can be found in its install directory.

https://github.com/apitrace/dxsdk/blob/master/Documentation/License%20Agreements/DirectX%20SDK%20EULA.txt

It is simple stuff, give it a quick once over. Basically you can't give others a copy of the sdk (only MS have rights to distribute it) and you can't outright reuse the graphics and sound etc included within. That's about it.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement