Ogre for graphics, bullet for phisics and what else?

Started by
7 comments, last by Martin H Hollstein 9 years, 4 months ago

I'm planning to make a game in c++ with ogre3d(everybody said it was the best graphics engine) and use other libraries to take care of other aspects of the development. I don't want to do the low-level stuff myself and everybody in the forums said that using ogre was better than a complete game egnine like irrlicht and that.

My question is: If i use ogre and bullet(or other physics engine you recommend me), what else is missing to start developing?

Does ogre takes care of things like particles and lighting.

I'm relatively new to game development, so i don't know a lot about these details. Any help would be appreciated.

Advertisement

Have you heard of engines like Unity, Unreal, Cry?

CEGUI for user-interface. I believe Ogre might have some support for this (since CEGUI has an Ogre theme included).

I don't use Ogre myself though, although I am considering using it for future projects, since it's more complete than my custom 1-man engine can ever be :p

What about sound and music? These days I prefer fmod because it's free for low budget indie titles, even commercial ones...

I'd also prefer FMOD for audio.
Btw, what sort of game are you aiming to make? This might affect your choices, especially for the engine and maybe other libraries.

Crealysm game & engine development: http://www.crealysm.com

Looking for a passionate, disciplined and structured producer? PM me

For audio, I'm using OpenAL-soft. It isn't as full-featured as FMOD, but it is open source, and I like having the code to everything I'm using.

I'm also using http://nothings.org/stb_vorbis/, a public domain Ogg vorbis decoder.

Other libraries I've found useful include:

• nvidia-texture-tools -- for creating compressed textures
  • Intel Threading Building Blocks -- task scheduler for multicore processors

However, I suggest taking a look at UE4 -- for $19 (or $19/mo for continuous updates to the code) you get a complete high-end game engine with tools -- with source code to everything (except PhysX, the physics engine). It's going to be miles better than anything you'll be able to cobble together with libraries like Ogre.

Have you heard of engines like Unity, Unreal, Cry?

I'm a free-software guy myself, sorry, but i don't get along with propietary tech(I would, if only unity had a linux sdk!!!)xD

By the way, are you using OgreBullet to handle the graphics and physics together? Seems like it's a good wrapper for the engines to keep things organized.

New game in progress: Project SeedWorld

My development blog: Electronic Meteor

There should be some research on networking if you haven,t already/ plan to use it. Such as Boost.Asioand other libraries/APIs such as Capt'n Proto.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement