Sign in to follow this  

Files

This topic is 1101 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello. I have some questions regarding file manipulation with Win32 API functions.

I want to make a header that is the size of INT and memories in it the number of USERS (for example);

After that I want to make a vector that contains the adresses of every USER and another vector that contains the size of the USER;

Lets assume that I will Create the file with 100 entries.

The created file would be like:

(INT) first 4 bytes; (the value of this one is 100 as 100 USERS)

INT[100] a vector with 100 ints and every element containing an adress of the USER (first element of the vector is the first user adress etc..)

INT[100] a vector with 100 ints and every element containing an sizeof the USER (first element of the vector is the first user size etc..)

WriteFile(test_usernames, (char*)&users_number, sizeof(int), &dwBytesWritten11, NULL);
WriteFile(test_usernames, (char*)&adrresses[0], sizeof(int)*users_number, &dwBytesWritten11, NULL);
WriteFile(test_usernames, (char*)&sizes[0], sizeof(int)*users_number, &dwBytesWritten11, NULL);

SetFilePointer(test_usernames,sizeof(int) , NULL, FILE_BEGIN);
WriteFile(test_usernames, (char*)sizes[0], sizeof(int), &dwBytesWritten11, NULL);

1. If I write  DATA1 that contains 4bytes for example and I want to return later and write exactly after that DATA1 i set the FilePointer to the sizeof(DATA1 ) of the sizeof(DATA1 ) + 1?

2. WriteFile(  ... (char*)users[0] , sizeof(int)*users_number ) will start to write from element 0 to the last element of the vector because of the sizeof that tells where to stop or because the & operator? What about if I want only to write a single element to the file (like in the last line of the code) it will be ok (char*)sizes[0] or (char*)&sizes[0] with smaller size to write specified in the WriteFile argument ?

Edited by Azzazelus

1. If I write  DATA1 that contains 4bytes for example and I want to return later and write exactly after that DATA1 i set the FilePointer to the sizeof(DATA1 ) of the sizeof(DATA1 ) + 1?

That seams right to me, But you could use some dummy data and a hex editor.

I use HxD to check my binary files.

2. WriteFile(  ... (char*)users[0] , sizeof(int)*users_number ) will start to write from element 0 to the last element of the vector because of the sizeof that tells where to stop or because the & operator? What about if I want only to write a single element to the file (like in the last line of the code) it will be ok (char*)sizes[0] or (char*)&sizes[0] with smaller size to write specified in the WriteFile argument ?

That would treat the value of users[0] as the char pointer.

And it would write as many bytes as you tell it to, Which you set correctly.

Some nitpicks:

I would advise you use C++ cast operators( static_cast, dynamic_cast, reinterpret_cast ) instead of C syle as they are searchable and I find them more readable.

Why does the "WriteFile" function have so many parameters?, Could you not just do the same as std::fstream( pointer, byte count ) ?

HTH

-Ryan.

This topic is 1101 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.