Files

Started by
0 comments, last by ryan20fun 9 years, 4 months ago

Hello. I have some questions regarding file manipulation with Win32 API functions.

I want to make a header that is the size of INT and memories in it the number of USERS (for example);

After that I want to make a vector that contains the adresses of every USER and another vector that contains the size of the USER;

Lets assume that I will Create the file with 100 entries.

The created file would be like:

(INT) first 4 bytes; (the value of this one is 100 as 100 USERS)

INT[100] a vector with 100 ints and every element containing an adress of the USER (first element of the vector is the first user adress etc..)

INT[100] a vector with 100 ints and every element containing an sizeof the USER (first element of the vector is the first user size etc..)

WriteFile(test_usernames, (char*)&users_number, sizeof(int), &dwBytesWritten11, NULL);
WriteFile(test_usernames, (char*)&adrresses[0], sizeof(int)*users_number, &dwBytesWritten11, NULL);
WriteFile(test_usernames, (char*)&sizes[0], sizeof(int)*users_number, &dwBytesWritten11, NULL);

SetFilePointer(test_usernames,sizeof(int) , NULL, FILE_BEGIN);
WriteFile(test_usernames, (char*)sizes[0], sizeof(int), &dwBytesWritten11, NULL);

1. If I write DATA1 that contains 4bytes for example and I want to return later and write exactly after that DATA1 i set the FilePointer to the sizeof(DATA1 ) of the sizeof(DATA1 ) + 1?

2. WriteFile( ... (char*)users[0] , sizeof(int)*users_number ) will start to write from element 0 to the last element of the vector because of the sizeof that tells where to stop or because the & operator? What about if I want only to write a single element to the file (like in the last line of the code) it will be ok (char*)sizes[0] or (char*)&sizes[0] with smaller size to write specified in the WriteFile argument ?

Advertisement

1. If I write DATA1 that contains 4bytes for example and I want to return later and write exactly after that DATA1 i set the FilePointer to the sizeof(DATA1 ) of the sizeof(DATA1 ) + 1?

That seams right to me, But you could use some dummy data and a hex editor.

I use HxD to check my binary files.

2. WriteFile( ... (char*)users[0] , sizeof(int)*users_number ) will start to write from element 0 to the last element of the vector because of the sizeof that tells where to stop or because the & operator? What about if I want only to write a single element to the file (like in the last line of the code) it will be ok (char*)sizes[0] or (char*)&sizes[0] with smaller size to write specified in the WriteFile argument ?

That would treat the value of users[0] as the char pointer.

And it would write as many bytes as you tell it to, Which you set correctly.

Some nitpicks:

I would advise you use C++ cast operators( static_cast, dynamic_cast, reinterpret_cast ) instead of C syle as they are searchable and I find them more readable.

Why does the "WriteFile" function have so many parameters?, Could you not just do the same as std::fstream( pointer, byte count ) ?

HTH

-Ryan.

Never say Never, Because Never comes too soon. - ryan20fun

Disclaimer: Each post of mine is intended as an attempt of helping and/or bringing some meaningfull insight to the topic at hand. Due to my nature, my good intentions will not always be plainly visible. I apologise in advance and assure you I mean no harm and do not intend to insult anyone.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement