Sign in to follow this  

first steps.

This topic is 1099 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi guys.

I had planned on making a game with a dev team, but I will be relocating soon and don't want to have to start up a new team.

So this leaves me in the place of having to do everything myself. Bar paying some artists to make my assets.

I want to learn C#.

The problem is how do I begin. I have searched for some help here and Google and have com up with a few answers. But have hit dead ends with them all.

I found some books at a second hand book shop but when I tried to find there resources online I had no luck at all.

The books I got were Learn C# By Programming Games. And Introduction To Programming Through Game Development Using Microsoft XNA Game Studio. Some sites want me to register an pay for the downloads and the site verysillygames which should have the assets for Introduction To Programming Through Game Development Using Microsoft XNA Game Studio, only comes up with assets for some other book that I cant find and don't plan on ordering it over the net.

What I find on this site is lost of small segments of the whole package. A book would have been preferable but with the frustration I have had so far I'm inclined to look for other options. Where can I find something textual that goes from the beginning, aimed at game development in C#, with readily available assets. Online tutorials would be fantastic but the ones I have found are aimed at C# in general. I know there is nothing special about the programming of a game as C# is C#. But I want it to be in context of what interests me. But I most definitely need it all in one place in lesson format. As apposed to have to read many different things in many different places and try and peace it all together.

I don't mind starting with 2D as it will be easier to get assets for the game. But I do plan on moving to 3D sooner or later. So I will be using Unity when I get there. As a noob I don't know what to expect, but it seems using Visual Studio to start off will let me learn alot more about it all than jumping into Unity and having it handle alot of things that I would then miss out on learning about.

Sorry for the long message. And sorry to those who get to answer this question day in and day out. I am just so frustrated that I cant find anything. And what I do find is incomplete or not aimed at Game Dev.

Thanks for any help.

There are lot of really good articles here for free:

http://gamedevelopment.tutsplus.com/

By the way the internet is full of free resources, you just have to search more. I learned a lot by myself without buying any book or online course.

As regard the online course, check these sites:

www.edx.org

www.coursera.org

They have pretty good courses held by famous universities and they are free.

For learning there are tons of resources on the internet.  They do only teach snippets of code but that is a lot of a dev's life, finding snippets and modding them to work in their project.  The best way to learn programming is to do it.  Find a concept that you want to program and implement it.  I suggest making these concepts small to start.  The idea is to get lots of hands on experience across multiple projects with each one being more difficult than the last.

For the project team and relocating you should look into IndieTeam Up.  You can find other like minded indies out there, create projects, and get some experience.

The best way to learn programming is to do it.  Find a concept that you want to program and implement it.  I suggest making these concepts small to start.

+1 You don't learn to program by reading other people's tutorials, or watch twitch streams of Notch making games, or playing games.  You learn to program by writing code.

Start easy.  How do I make games

Edited by Glass_Knife

How familiar are you with programming in general? Is C# going to be your first programming language?

If so, it's a good choice, but you're likely going to have to spend some time learning the basics of programming before you even get around to the basics of 2D games. That means spending a fair bit of time writing programs that operating in text/console mode. For example, could you write a program in C# that generated a random number and then asked the user to guess which number it was?

Hey guys. Thanks for the help. Yes C# is my first language. I will try going through some snippets and swing what I can piece together. I have actually signed up for the coursera course called Beginning game programming with C# that starts in Feb. Really looking forward to it. Just wanted something to get ne going in the mean time. I just find it easier to learn when its structured. Once I have the basics of something I enjoy adding to it with snippets. Thanks for the help. Sorry again for asking such a popular question. And best of luck to all the others undertaking this.

This topic is 1099 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.