Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

gandolf1212

Importing lib files w/ Borland C++

gandolf1212    100
Well, I finally broke down and bought a book on DirectX (tricks of Guru''s) but I can''t get the *.lib files to link to my project. I''m almost %100 percent sure this is whats wrong because I had a similar problem with Borland Builder. I tried adding a node to the project but it didn''t work and Borlands help file is about as useful as the emoticons at the top of this page are (notice that, while cute this emoticon doesn''t help me link -> ) So, if anyone knows how to do this please reply, it would really help me out. Thanks!

ShawMishrak    146
I haven''t used Borland since DirectX 5, but here goes anyway:

I can''t remember the name of the tool, but Borland has a command-line program that can build LIB files from DLL files. (It was command-line in version 5, at least) All I had to do was run the DirectX DLL files through the tool and got native-Borland LIB files. Although, I can''t guarantee anything, since I haven''t used it since DirectX 5 (I upgraded to MSVC).

Hope that helps in some way.

Sly    128
The tool you are referring to is IMPLIB. This creates an import lib from a DLL. But that is not what gandolf1212 needs. He is trying to link with libs that were supplied with the book.

To convert libs, use the tool called COFF2OMF. It converts the COFF format libs as used by Visual C++ and converts them to OMF format libs as used by Borland C++.

If you want a set of DirectX 8.0 libs that have already been converted, then go to this page.

Steve ''Sly'' Williams  Monkey Wrangler  Krome Studios

gandolf1212    100
Well, I think the lib''s I got where all ready coverted because they where in the Borland directory of the DirectX sdk. I just can''t figure out what to do with the lib''s.

mk83    122
Open your project, goto options->Project and make sure the lib files are in one of the source directorys of the library files.
They have to be the Borland C++ specific ones.

As far as I can remember this should work, else you my have to specifically include the libraries in the the nodes like you have been trying, I remember having a huge ammount of problems, like you are now, but it turned out to be be something simple that I was doing wrong! I''ll try to find the DX project that I got to work and I''ll pst again tommorrow if I find anything else.

Cheers,
MK83

gandolf1212    100
Well, I put all the library files in the lib directory of Borland and added them as a node. Still doesn''t work. I think I''m just going to start using Microsoft''s compiler. Kind of sad because up till now I loved Borland''s compiler, but it just sucks really bad when you try to use libraries like DirectX with it. What''s really bad though is that there appears to be nothing at all written in there help file about this. Oh well, off to d/l Visual C++.