Assets first?

Started by
19 comments, last by lightxbulb 9 years, 4 months ago

[No Topic Prefix because I'm in between Python & Sharp; Can't figure out which is going to render the best results because, quite frankly, and don't tell anyone (whispers-) "I actually just became interested in learning a language."]

Naturally, like many others that decide to try their hand at game development, I got the itch while messing around between Blender and Gimp with one of my kids, and I said, "Hey, lets design a videogame." Unlike my children though, who are devout Minecrafters, I'm an FPS guy. My ambition is overly lofty, they'll be satisfied with Bubble Bash...

So, I'm going to do my own (which may never see the light of day - FPS, realistic, 3D, boundless maps to some extent, single player PC) and theirs... 2D.

This is a spare time kind of thing as I have other responsibilities, but I'd like to ask of y'all, "Where should I start? Is it abnormal to start on the part that you actually know (in my case, assets. Except I thought they were called animations, music/sounds/foleys, textures, etc...)?"

Currently, I did a screen grab on Google maps of an area where I'd like the game to start. (The sketchup trick seemed like a half-cocked solution) In GIMP, I set the screen grab as the bottom layer and am using color coded paths on other layers to mark everything like streets, Interstates, residential areas, etc etc... The plan is to import the result into Blender as a reference image where I can build the map perfectly. From there - well, it might collect dust forever unless I get a handle on C#. Something tells me Python won't exactly nail a 3D game... That's an inexperienced opinion expecting an experienced set of facts, but from the search I did for a good day or two trying to find Python games that "looked" right, I didn't find many examples. But, I see C(flavor) everywhere...

By the way, a huge thanks ahead of time for any advice that is formatted with an awesome can do attitude biggrin.png

Simcerely,

Cracker

Don't get mad. Elbow drop that thing and make it your B**ch.

Advertisement

And to add:

I'm a music producer/songwriter.

Anyone who can barter services and needs something done along those lines, feel free to offer. My studio isn't bankrolled by Kanye West or Quincy Jones, but I'm good at what I do.

So, I'm going to do my own (which may never see the light of day - FPS, realistic, 3D, boundless maps to some extent, single player PC)

Yeah thats not going to happen, you wouldn't be the first person around here to say they want to make something fancy. People don't seem to equate game development as being the same as real work, I doubt many structural engineers get random people asking them where to start building a garage from scratch, yet we rather consistantly get people wanting to make some amazing game or an MMO.

This is a spare time kind of thing as I have other responsibilities, but I'd like to ask of y'all, "Where should I start? Is it abnormal to start on the part that you actually know (in my case, assets. Except I thought they were called animations, music/sounds/foleys, textures, etc...)?"

Generally for a one person project I would say getting the code going first is preferable, but it really doesn't matter either way. Everything in games in visual, even for 2d games you end up having to make lots of mock sprites(i.e. programmer art) to test how things interact.

I know your intention was to be nice but the way you word things is rather belittling about the difficulty about what you're talking about doing. If you don't know how to code and don't plan to spend the next 10 years of your life programming as a hobby or a job I would certainly not recommend trying to make a game from nothing. At the very least you'll want to use an engine like Unity.

I would give you some long master plan of things to learn but frankly the whole "I want to make..." thing is pretty commonplace, you should probably pick an engine and actually tinker with it a bit and see if you have any serious ambition of making a game.

Sorry if I belittled anyone, wasn't my intention. But that's normally not anyone's intention, merely a simple inference on the part of the reader... Like if someone says, "Hey, man, I wanna learn how to run sound for a 6 piece band with 6 monitor mixes and 4 side fills, and all wireless with a 13 mic drum kit..." Most often folks don't know what's going into a big production - games or music or whatever else... Even down to running an oil field job shop... Just as I don't know what goes into making a game, you most likely haven't ever messed with music beyond an iPod or calling sound files up in a program. But, I wouldn't be anywhere near slightly offended if someone mentioned wanting to do it in their spare time... I might laugh and say, "Get your checkbook ready, learn to eat Ramen Noodles, and make sure your back seat is good for sleeping."

The spare time I mentioned goes hand in hand with the comment about "which may never see the light of day..."

Sounds to me like you're more interested in pointing out that I'm not a game developer... Well, now 2 people on this earth know that fact... Touche.

Edit --- It's Friday man... Smile. Save the feels for Monday before you get the first pot of coffee down.

Just as I don't know what goes into making a game, you most likely haven't ever messed with music beyond an iPod or calling sound files up in a program.

Yes but most people tend to still assume that something like "realistic, 3D FPS" lies on the tougher end of the game development spectrum, just like MMO. They usually just seem to assume that its like carrying water from a well to their house with an eyedropper, that if they do it long enough it will just happen.

I'm not offended, most people here probably aren't. I was just giving you a reality check, in particular the way you ended what you said with:

By the way, a huge thanks ahead of time for any advice that is formatted with an awesome can do attitude

Just struck me as like.. "Hey I want to make this hard thing, I probably won't finish it.. but yeah I'm just gonna do this hard thing because I can, and don't tell me I can't do it or imply I shouldn't be doing it." Probably just me being paranoid, but trust me I've seen my fair share of people that literally got completely offensive when someone suggested they can't make WoW after they download visual studio.

But, I wouldn't be anywhere near slightly offended if someone mentioned wanting to do it in their spare time... I might laugh and say, "Get your checkbook ready, learn to eat Ramen Noodles, and make sure your back seat is good for sleeping."

Which is why I laughed and gave you some advice, I meant exactly what I wrote, unless you plan to become a full time game developer or something you probably will -not- benefit from learning to code a game from scratch with just a language, you'd be much better off using an engine.

The spare time I mentioned goes hand in hand with the comment about "which may never see the light of day..."

Which is why I usually tell budding developers to do the same thing I did and a lot of others did, start small, simple. Even if a game engine is completely drag and drop(like game maker or something) most people will not finish a game just because the fact is a game takes a lot of time, a lot of repetitive work, a lot of just staring at the same thing for weeks and months. Adding the frustration of having to figure out how to code it and make art and design maps and.. yeah, its a test of interest.

Which is why if you aren't even sure if you'll stick to it, you probably will not. But if you have fun dinking around with it, who cares? Go ahead and try.

I know you aren't approaching this as a professional pursuit, but I think it might still be informative to think about it from a business perspective, in which case I'd say that you start with your biggest risks first. Assets do not sound like your biggest risk; you know you can make whatever assets you need, at any point in the project. If you spend a year making them at the very beginning of the project, and only then delve into the game engine area of work, you might end up with a year's worth of assets and nothing else to show for it. Which might be fine in the end, but it wouldn't line up with your present goal.

Instead, consider your biggest risk, which might be whether or not you can get a customizable FPS up and running, and whether or not you can give it boundless maps. Don't worry about level design, art, animations. First grab an engine such as Unity or Unreal and see if you can get the samples working. Then see if you can adapt their samples in ways that are relevant to your ideas. (For example, the engines probably already having basic jumping built in, but what if you want double jumping? Can you add that feature?) Then try to get boundless maps to work, in the simplest possible way first. Start with flat terrain, and cubes for bushes (since you know you have the skill to swap out the cubes for nicer models at any point). Then see if you can get more interesting terrain, hills and whatnot, that goes on forever.

Maybe along the way you might indulge yourself with a making a few assets to use in your experiments, to keep your motivation up, but don't go overboard. I struggle with the same issue. I'll get frustrated with something I'm having difficulties with, go off on a tangent with a part of the project that I find more satisfying, and then follow that tangent for way too long. Sooner or later, that original difficulty needs to be dealt with, or I'm never going to make real progress.

"We should have a great fewer disputes in the world if words were taken for what they are, the signs of our ideas only, and not for things themselves." - John Locke

Thanks Andy. Spot on.

Assets do not sound like your biggest risk; you know you can make whatever assets you need, at any point in the project.

Sooner or later, that original difficulty needs to be dealt with, or I'm never going to make real progress.

I didn't realize I was going for the more rewarding, less challenging job first. (I did, but I didn't quite know to put it in those terms.)

First grab an engine such as Unity or Unreal and see if you can get the samples working.

I have both of them on my Desktop. Can't quite make heads nor tails of either, but that will come soon enough.

Andy, from the days of research so far and actually devoting time to learning Python, don't laugh, via CodeAcademy, I've also read and discussed with a couple programmer friends who's opinion it is that Python is good for a lot of things besides gaming. There isn't much explanation beyond that. Albeit, they're web designers, but programming web scripts to me sounds like something that is mildly if not wholly close to the same. Is that right or wrong? [Python is also proving to be a headache when trying to actually create a program rather than a script that runs from the IDLE Shell.]

Along with trying to get started learning programming, I've tried finding definitive reading that points to the general consensus on languages and it seems a tie between C++ and C# which further leads me to believe that the Python opinion isn't completely inaccurate.

But, as with everything, there has to be a start. I just don't want to start, get deep in and find out that I should have spent all my time on X programming language... Because I've put in quite a few hours taking notes and such on Python. Seems I should hit the brakes and make sure I'm travelling the right road first.

Thank you, Sir.

Just struck me as like.. "Hey I want to make this hard thing, I probably won't finish it.. but yeah I'm just gonna do this hard thing because I can, and don't tell me I can't do it or imply I shouldn't be doing it."

When I started with music I owned a cat-gut guitar that sounded like Caca, and I couldn't even play Nirvana songs... When you first started programming, you wrote a "Hello World" script that didn't work until a few tries later. Only thing is, with code, it's finite. There are no grey areas... I've made a living in the grey areas. I'm sure I can at least hobby around with "FINITE"...

And to add:

I'm a music producer/songwriter.

Anyone who can barter services and needs something done along those lines, feel free to offer. My studio isn't bankrolled by Kanye West or Quincy Jones, but I'm good at what I do.

^^^ If I can trade services (i.e. Music Scoring, Foleys, Voice Over etc.) I might be able to finish this with the help of others who need help doing something they aren't fully up-to-speed on... You know what, I hope someone asks for help with soundscapes. I've actually yet to test out my Dolby skills.

Hi! Making games can be fun, but the larger the game, the more work they take, and you need to have alot of prerequisite programming knowledge if you are going to code them from scratch.

Since you're not doing this to lead up to an eventual career, and since you've already told your kids (and don't want them to sit around bored for several months or even years while you learn how to program in your free time), and because this is supposed to be a fun experience for them and for you, why not skip the boring parts and go straight for the fun stuff?

You could purchase Half Life 2 and Half Life 2: Episodes 1 & 2 on Steam - the "Orange Box" contains all three - currently it's $20, but you can wait for a deal this Christmas - Valve routinely discounts it to $10 or $5 because it's an older set of games.

After purchase and installation, download the Source Engine SDK from the Steam tools menu, and start modding (modifying) the existing game. Half Life 2 has a nice editor that I enjoyed playing around in in my teens. You can make 3D models and textures in whatever tools you are used to, and import them, but then you and your kids can make the actual game areas in the Source Engine editor. There are loads of tutorials and a dedicated community around the Source Engine SDK.

Crysis and Farcry 2 are other games with an editors. I've loosely used Farcry 2's for a few minutes, and have zero experience with Crysis'. I'd stick recommend Half-life 2, as it's more geared for indoor environments and I've had hundreds of hours of fun playing with it when younger.

in my case, assets. Except I thought they were called animations, music/sounds/foleys, textures, etc...)?"

'Assets' is the general umbrella term for all data that the game engine loads. This includes 3D models, animations, textures, music, sound effects, script files, game levels, and so on.

They are sometimes also referred to generally as "Resources" or even just "game data".

'Foleys' are less commonly used by programmers and designers, being slightly more in the direction of sound-designer in-speak.

Since you're not doing this to lead up to an eventual career, and since you've already told your kids (and don't want them to sit around bored for several months or even years while you learn how to program in your free time), and because this is supposed to be a fun experience for them and for you, why not skip the boring parts and go straight for the fun stuff?

They'll get a 2D deal out of it once they go through the process of at least coming up with an idea, and maybe even sketching some characters... I know using computers isn't easy for youngsters, design at least, but computers are the backbone of this world and I'd like to get them psyched up to do more than what they are. I've even downloaded some mods for their Minecraft that use Lua and Robots, but again, I gotta learn the language first to be able to help them. (The thing with them is that I can't stand to see their bent necks, tablets in hand, and nothing productive going on besides watching Minecraft videos - it's such a waste with so much at our fingertips.)

Thanks. I do appreciate the advice. Unfortunately, the kiddos aren't yet past 10yrs old. I'll keep the FPS games to myself :) The FPS project is mainly for my enjoyment/stress (more stress I'm sure).

[oh, and one side effect of all this is that at some point I'll be able to make scripts for the websites I own and administer. Not many, but they could all benefit from scripts.]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement