Do i have to make basic games again after break in gamedev?

Started by
10 comments, last by Nicholas Kong 9 years, 4 months ago
Hello guys,
I have tried to program games in C++ and created games with SDL like Pong, Black Jack and Space Invaders style game, but I took a break because of university and job as php developer. It is about year or morr since

Tl ; DR
I took long break from gamedev but not programming in general.
So I am wondering if I need to recreate these simple games or I can start with more advanced concepts like AI, side scrolling, more physics etc.?

P.S.I was thinking of SDL2 and OpenGL.

Deltron Zero and Automator.

Advertisement
So I am wondering if I need to recreate these simple games or I can start with more advanced concepts like AI, side scrolling, more physics etc

What do you think? Do you think you still retain enough of the information you learned originally to feel comfortable working on those more advanced concepts? If so, then go ahead. If you find yourself struggling you can always stop, re-evaluate, and potentially try something simpler.

I forgot some details and have to learn sdl2 and plus OpenGL, but I could manage it. Problem is I dont have much time with uni and work :(

This isn't necessarily advice, but this is what I'd try making a game with the understanding that it's been a while and my first-draft code is probably going to suck. Then, at some point as the code-base got messier and messier to the point of hindering my progress and/or trouble-shooting (or at some point where I realized I really wanted a particular feature that would require a major overhaul) I'd start again from scratch. I wouldn't necessarily have made a game, but I would have, hopefully, used a lot of that information I hadn't used in a while and pushed myself a little farther.

That's just me...

Inspiration from my tea:

"Never wish life were easier. Wish that you were better" -Jim Rohn

soundcloud.com/herwrathmustbedragons

I believe it all depends on what your goal is.
If you go indie, there's one choice: just do it.

If you're going for a job at a (AAA) studio, I'd suggest you come up with something that jumps of the page (not necessary on the looks of the output, can also be the way your code is setup or the algorithm you created etc.)

From your post I assume for now you're going indie, in that case you could set a goal (game) which includes both what you achieved earlier but with added features you want to learn.

Crealysm game & engine development: http://www.crealysm.com

Looking for a passionate, disciplined and structured producer? PM me

Thank you very much,
I have SDL2 game development,
OpenGL blue book and C++ Primer to remind me C++ a bit :D

As a PHP developer myself, many programming concepts stay fresh in my mind so applying them to game development comes more second nature. The bigger challenge is coming up with a project idea that interests you and realizing what kind of projects fall within your abilities. So you try to set your mind on something and apply it.

Trying one facet of game programming is one approach and usually simpler than making a whole game. I ported some A* pathfinding code and learned how it works and made a simple demo of it using HTML and Javascript. I saved the code and will probably come back to it later when I want to add pathfinding to an actual game I'm making.

New game in progress: Project SeedWorld

My development blog: Electronic Meteor

I was thinking about creating two or more complicated 2d games like packman or tetris, RPG or sidescroller. Or all of them. And then advancing to OpenGL, because soon I will get Blue Book.

I agree on programming concepts, maybe I need to practice more gamedev concepts, I have Game Coding Complete and Game Engine Architecture books, maybe Its good for me to read them?

If I say start from scratch, are you pleased or disappointed? If I say pick up where you left off, are you pleased or disappointed?

Do whichever one makes you pleased :)

Tl ; DR
I took long break from gamedev but not programming in general.
So I am wondering if I need to recreate these simple games or I can start with more advanced concepts like AI, side scrolling, more physics etc.?

i've taken multiple breaks of multiple years in the 25 years i've been doing games. its just like riding a bike, you never forget. sure you get rusty, but you pick it up again pretty quick. just pick up again where you last left off, and you'll be back up to speed in no time.

Norm Barrows

Rockland Software Productions

"Building PC games since 1989"

rocklandsoftware.net

PLAY CAVEMAN NOW!

http://rocklandsoftware.net/beta.php

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement