OGRE Bicycles

Started by
10 comments, last by Codeloader_Dev 9 years, 3 months ago

Some dude at work tried to get me to buy one of these. He said a friend of his that works at a bike shop would make me a price - $1600. That's stupid to pay that much for a bike. Anyways, I was curious so I looked at the bike and, basically, it looks like a touring bike which is what I like but I go offroad A LOT. Man when I get riding I go in creek beds, rivers, across frozen lakes, up steep rocky hills in forests, over logs, in mud, etc. Anyways, not even a simple suspension fork - nothing at all and the frame is bent - I mean look at the weird shape.

ogre-14_sv_930x390.jpg

Has anyone ridden one of these bikes? If so how does it handle offroad? I don't go for long rides - 10 miles most of the time and 32 miles at the most. I ride mostly around parks and rivers.

Codeloader - Free games, stories, and articles!
If you stare at a computer for 5 minutes you might be a nerdneck!
https://www.codeloader.dev

Advertisement

I guess people think these bikes suck... well, don't blame them!

Codeloader - Free games, stories, and articles!
If you stare at a computer for 5 minutes you might be a nerdneck!
https://www.codeloader.dev

I guess people think these bikes suck... well, don't blame them!

The reaction you got (or didn't get) is about the same as what you'd get if you went to a bike site and asked what the people there thought about a specific computer model.

And on top of what LennyLen said... even if there are cycling fans on this site (and I am pretty sure there are, Devs are not as unsportive as they are portrayed by society), its like asking "How are XXX computers in general, are they good", where XXX is a minor brand only few have ever heard about. There must be 1000nds of bike brands worldwide, that have produce dozens of bicycle models each over the last 5 years or so.

So even if you find someone on this site that has an ogre bike (and let me tell you, MOST bicycle producers are EXTREMLY local. There are only like 3-4 brands that produce on a global scale), his view is highly subjective (what one cyclist likes is completly repulsive to another one), especially as his model might be completly different from the one you are planning to buy.

Then there are almost no reviews on assembled bikes (for this exact reason)...

Best thing you can do is get the spec sheet of the bike model you are thinking about, find the components used (brakes and so on) and look up the producer of the components. While the frame makes a difference (as in cheap frames might wear worse than better ones), most difference between different bikes come from different components chosen (They are also the parts that break WAY before the frame gives in), which also is there reason why two models of the same brand with about the same feature might wildly differ in price... one uses more expensive components to achieve the same result.

Be aware that, to my knowledge, the most expensive components are more or less a waste of money, unless you are a professional cyclist and will use and "abuse" your bike for hours every day. Then, maybe, the most expensive part will handle wear and tear better than midtier ones.

But don't go for the cheapest components and bikes available. They will not only fail quicker, but most probably will also be inferior to more expensive parts before that (sqeeking and stuff like that)... believe me, I made the mistake once when I was younger... was, to some degree, glad somebody stole my 500 bucks Mountainbike from the Trainstation and I could go back to my old but sturdy City bike I originally wanted to replace... the cheap bike was just shite.

EDIT: on another note, at least here in Switzerland, 1600$ for a bike is not an outrageous price at all. My current City bike would have costed 2200$ new, I got it for about 1100$ as it was last seasons model (never buy the newest models, you can save a lot this way), and then reduced again. This is a rather high price for a city bike, but as my bicycle is my only vehicle (living in a city and having no car), I wanted one with certain specialities.

A cheap brand mountain bike will cost between 1000 and 2000 $ without doubt. Midtier starts at about 2000$. High price ones go up to maybe 8000-10'000$

Now, for the US you can most probably half this prices (yes, living in switzerland is expensive as hell sad.png ), but still, 1600$ is not an outrageous price for an Mountainbike. Just make sure you really get something for the price (by looking up what other brands bikes with similar components cost)

EDIT 2: Yes, If you go offroad a lot, I wouldn't buy an MB without Suspension. My current "Mountainbike" (which is more a very sturdy normal bike with broad tires I inherited from my father) has none, which makes even the trips I take around the woods on the pathways a rather bumpy expierience. I don't care too much, as I know the bike will take it (it is built like a tank), still, sometimes having a suspension would definitely make for a better expirience.

A cheap brand mountain bike will cost between 1000 and 2000 $ without doubt. Midtier starts at about 2000$. High price ones go up to maybe 8000-10'000$

Now, for the US you can most probably half this prices (yes, living in switzerland is expensive as hell sad.png ), but still, 1600$ is not an outrageous price for an Mountainbike. Just make sure you really get something for the price (by looking up what other brands bikes with similar components cost)

Remind me never to visit if I want to buy a bike.

Around here there are hundreds of bikes under $250 USD .

I cannot remember the books I've read any more than the meals I have eaten; even so, they have made me.

~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

I'm sure you can get lots of cheap bikes in Europe as well. However they'll be much like the cheap ones you can get in North America: Insanely heavy frames for the stiffness and durability, cheap gears, cheaper shifters, cheap wheels, horrendous breaks, and frequently using non-standard parts and mounting brackets that are hard to fix/replace/upgrade.

Two of my friends bike a lot, and one laughed at the other for spending $3k on a bike nearly 10 years ago when the other was riding something that cost around $300. He has now gone through nearly $2000 in 'cheap' bikes, while the guy who bought the expensive one in the first place has put a few hundred into it, and has enjoyed a far superior bike for the last decade.

Old Username: Talroth
If your signature on a web forum takes up more space than your average post, then you are doing things wrong.

While no doubt their are, anyone who is relatively seriously in cycling would not get one.

I'm a Triathlete so I wont go into how much we spend on things, though I wouldn't even suggest a friend of mine who will only mountain bike every now and then to get a $250 mountain bike. I'd almost always suggest at least one that is around $500. There is a big difference. From actually using more standard parts (easier to get replacement parts from other people) and being more reliable in general. Where your cheap $250 mountain bike might be able to survive a local mountain biking trail, chances are pretty high that you would have to replace parts on it more and more. Plus they don't give you the room to actually move up in difficulty.

Though for a mountain bike where you plan to go off road at all I would suggest some type of suspension. You definitely do not need a full suspension bike, so a hard tail is fine, but I do suggest some type of front suspension.

Anyways, not even a simple suspension fork - nothing at all and the frame is bent - I mean look at the weird shape.

ogre-14_sv_930x390.jpg

I think what you're seeing from the frame is the fact that it is a 29er. Without actually looking the bike up and just look at that image it seems it is like that to keep the bike from being long with it running the larger wheels.

I would take a guess and say that the bike has a sister/brother that runs 26" wheels.

Just wanted to comment. GOOD quality bikes are upwards to 2grand. (do you need that? NO!!) I paid 850 for my semi-off road and it works perfectly fine.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement