Introduction is in order...

Started by
5 comments, last by John Farrell 9 years, 3 months ago

Hey everybody, I'd just like to introduce myself to the community. Just nice to pop in and touch first base!

My interest is in eventually getting involved with game design of RPGs- I'm well aware of the voluminous quantity of users who've likely said the same thing. I'm interested in developing a plot that is filled heavily with concepts derived from the philosophy I've studied while managing to make this plot semi-engaging. What a mouthful it is!

Hope to become more involved with this community as time goes on.

Lover of Death Metal and lampooning Hegel.

Advertisement

If you want to worry about the design end of RPGs there are a few free options to "hone your skills" without programming .

ZZT - very old game that alows you to make your own maps and senerios. Very easy to use.

I cannot remember the books I've read any more than the meals I have eaten; even so, they have made me.

~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Welcome! :)

- Jason Astle-Adams

Hi!

RPGs are awesome. What existing games (if any) are your primary inspirations?

RPG Maker VX Ace (non-free) is another possibility for playing around with your designs in an easy-to-use toolkit while you hone your skills - great for prototyping.

It's currently on sale; but also has a free trial available on the actual RPG Maker website to see whether you like it.

Construct 2 has a full free version, and a paid premium, but isn't as RPG-focused. Same with GameMaker.

Suikoden II, Skies of Arcadia, Terranigma, LoZ titles, Chrono Trigger/Cross, Mass Effect 1, Fire Emblem: Awakening, Paper Mario (first two), FFIV/VI/VII.

But I'm also influenced by meta-structural conceptions. Like marrying my love of philosophy to effective designing. I'm particularly interested in the feedback loop between the 'core experience' of a game and the elements that 'constitute it'.

Just to name a few titles I can speak of with high praise for a variety of reasons.

I'm already working with RPG Maker VX Ace. I found a tutorial that has helped tremendously with rapid skill acquisition.

Lover of Death Metal and lampooning Hegel.

Suikoden II, Skies of Arcadia, Terranigma, LoZ titles, Chrono Trigger/Cross, Mass Effect 1, Fire Emblem: Awakening, Paper Mario (first two), FFIV/VI/VII.

Nice - I share most of the same tastes in RPGs as you. happy.png

Hopefully you'll manage to finish your future game projects, so I can purchase and play them. Best of luck to ya!

Hello @stumpmaestro welcome aboard to the gamedev community ! :)

John Farrell

Technical Consultant

Rapidsoft Technologies Pvt. Ltd.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement