Mobile Dinosaur Pack

Started by
9 comments, last by fatboxsoftware 9 years, 3 months ago
UPDATED:
I've officially launched and am sending my babies out into the world! Check it out and see if it's something you could use.
Velociraptor_01.png
Velociraptor_02.png
Tyrannosaurus_01.png
Tyrannosaurus_02.png
Stegosaurus_01.png
Stegosaurus_02.png

I'm currently working on completion of a Dinosaur Pack optimized for web and mobile applications. Currently I have two models completed, the Tyrannosaurus and the Pteranodon. The Pteranodon mesh came in at 570 polygons. The Tyrannosaurus mesh is 1,800 polygons. They both utilize 1024 x 1024 layered file textures. Each layer group is organized and appropriately named. The package will include a very optimal "Dino Shader", that includes rim lighting and a detail texture overlay. The detail texture overlay allows for some very neat customization for stripes, patterns, birthmarks, etc.
This is my current list of dinos:
1.) Tyrannosaurus Rex
2.) Pteranodon
3.) Brachiosaurus
4.) Velociraptor
5.) Stegosaurus
6.) Ankylosaurus
Of course each will have proper idle animations, walking, running, eating, and attacking.
Here are some preview images of the meshes and current textures.
Tyrannosaurus_Color.png
Tyrannosaurus_Wires.png
Pteranodon_Color.png
Pteranodon_Wires.png

Finished up the modeling and texturing part of the Brachiosaurus as well. 1,560 polygons, 1024x1024 diffuse texture. Moving on to modeling the Velociraptor shortly smile.png
Brachiosaurus_Color.png
Brachiosaurus_Wires.png
And a very high resolution screen capture from the Unity viewport.
Brachiosaurus_Large.png

This cuddly little guy is now modeled. 1,900 polygons. UVs and texturing in Photoshop left to do for today.
Velociraptor_WIP.png
Advertisement
Gotta call it a day at some point on some art assets. This one is done. Came in at 1,980 polygons and painted up a 1024x1024px texture in Photoshop.
Velociraptor_Color.png
Stegosaurus finished up last night. Came in at 1,600 polygons and uses a hand painted 1024 x 1024 texture.
Stegosaurus_Color.png
One of the big parts of optimizing for platforms like mobile or web is making sure the asset is versatile in some lower end situations. One of the ways to tackle this is to make sure to paint nicely detailed textures that will hold up without any pixel lights. I paint all of my textures in flat shaded mode, i.e. no lighting whatsoever in the 3d app, just self illuminated. This way in a mobile game project you could use an unlit or vertex color shader (cheapest performance-wise) and the asset would still look really cool. So here is what an asset would look like using an unlit shader.
Stegosaurus_No_Lighting.png
The rig and the bind are working inside of Unity as of today. The animations will need more polish, but it's a solid start.

Wow! Those look outstanding!

I will have to take a better look.

Nice job!

Those look really nice!

The animations will need more polish, but it's a solid start.
I'm not an artist, but have you tried making the tail also move left and right instead of just up and down? That seems like it might look more natural.

Those are excellent, very impressive.

Thanks guys. I should be knocking out some animation polish on this guy today. Got a lot of good critiques that should help make this look much better.

I've officially launched and am sending my babies out into the world! Check it out and see if it's something you could use.
Velociraptor_01.png
Velociraptor_02.png
Tyrannosaurus_01.png
Tyrannosaurus_02.png
Stegosaurus_01.png
Stegosaurus_02.png
I did a timelapse recording of my modeling sessions for the Ankylosaurus. Model came out nice and clean. UVs are done, now on to the texturing aspect.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement