Win2000/WinXP suitability

Started by
3 comments, last by tifkagh 22 years, 5 months ago
I''m putting together a system for gaming/game development. I''m thinking about what OS to use and I understand NT based ones are the most stable ones to use. I have also read that Win2000 can be troublesome for gamers. Is this true? If so, what are the issues? Also, are there any issues to be aware of with XP? Cheers, tifkagh.
Advertisement
You said that NT based systems are the most stable, that is for the most part true. However, this really only holds true in the Business spectrum. NT (Not Win2k though) only supports DirectX 3.0 now, so its not really suitable for gaming.

Win2K on the other hand, even though built on the NT technology, does offer support for the latest DirectX, (at this time I believe that is 8a). My main box (for gaming) is a win2k config, and (with the exception of Pool of Radiance) I don't have any problems with it. Also win2k offers better memory management then NT and Win9X.

I have not had the opportunity to use this XP in anything other than a ‘beta’ development environment. My XP box is only used for developing C# and .NET applications.

Edited by - Thurk on November 9, 2001 10:43:55 AM
I use 2K for all my development work, and it''s great. I haven''t used XP so I can''t comment on that. The only game that I have found not to work in 2000 is DK2 ( although there''s probably a patch that makes it so it can ).
If at first you don't succeed, redefine success.
I was having difficulty with Mechwarrior 4 under W2K/SP2. Everything works great so far under XP.
Im updating my secondary (wife''s) game pc to XP tonight

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement