Smartphones/facebook - gone too far?

Started by
52 comments, last by Brain 9 years, 3 months ago
I found myself doing this, so I went cold turkey and uninstalled the Facebook app from my phone. I now visit Facebook for 5 minutes a month or less when I am pressured to e.g. To manage work's Facebook page. Not looking back either, i don't miss it one bit...
Advertisement

No, it's simply the free market giving people the option to do what they want.

Also, I've never owned a single social media account, and never will, so it's clearly an optional activity.

I much prefer browsing the internet to talking to people mainly. I personally find social situations far easier to deal with these days, where everyone is only half present. Suits me fine.

Work mobility means I spend more physical time with people than I would have done, with less forced small talk and stress.

Guess I'm an example of what everyone thinks is rude and wrong with the world but there you are.

Anyways, I find this behavior rude and annoying.

And many introverts find it highly rude and annoying with extroverts expect everyone to act like extroverts.

If there is an engaging conversation going on, I've found that most people will remain engaged in it. When conversation becomes boring and people run out of things to talk about? Out come the phones till someone finds something interesting to share and conversation resumes.

If you often find yourself surrounded by people who don't want to engage with you in conversation... Maybe you should try providing a higher quality conversation rather than blaming them and getting mad.

Old Username: Talroth
If your signature on a web forum takes up more space than your average post, then you are doing things wrong.

Anyways, I find this behavior rude and annoying.

And many introverts find it highly rude and annoying with extroverts expect everyone to act like extroverts.

If there is an engaging conversation going on, I've found that most people will remain engaged in it. When conversation becomes boring and people run out of things to talk about? Out come the phones till someone finds something interesting to share and conversation resumes.

If you often find yourself surrounded by people who don't want to engage with you in conversation... Maybe you should try providing a higher quality conversation rather than blaming them and getting mad.

Introvert is not the same thing as being socially inept. Have you checked to see if you have Asperger's?

I'm an introvert, and I also find it irritating, but occasionally do it myself if I get a text message - quickly glancing at it. I find that most things which annoy me are things I myself do in some form or another. Have you considered whether you're really getting annoyed that people are (unintentionally) ignoring you, and whether you do the same thing? Random thought.

When I'm with people I really enjoy, and conversation is going on that's really enjoyable to participate in or just listen to, I'm engaged in that conversation.

If superficial conversation is going on, I want to check out of it and do other things.

Sometimes someone engages me in conversation, and I'm really engaged in something already (programming or reading or whatever). I want to get back to what is more interesting to me (even if their conversation topic is interesting), but I try to stay in the conversation, because I try to consciously tell myself that my relationship with the person is more important than my relationship with the computer. happy.png

I do this by turning off my monitor (not the entire computer), rotating to face them, and making eye contact frequently enough to let them know I'm listening.

Usually, anyway. Sometimes I just get dismissive and focus on the computer while they are trying to talk to me. angry.png

As an aside, one stereotype with the Amish religious group is that they don't use electricity or phones. This isn't necessarily true across the board for every Amish groups. I've heard that some allow phones, but have them as phone booths outside the physical house, so that the phone ringing doesn't hinder the much more important social fellowshipping, and so making a phonecall is an actual physical inconvenience.

If in a conversation I'd also take a quick glance at my phone if I'm expecting something important, maybe even excuse myself if the one I'm talking to isn't someone I know very well.

But burying your nose into your phone while in a conversation isn't my definition of manners. Blaming it on being introvert sounds like a bad excuse to me.

There is two sides to this, its just socially more accepted to blame introverts.

To show the backside of the coin (sorry for being blunt, but the thread already started very bluntly): Extroverts are just shallow people, who gain perceived self-worth by counting how long other people pretend to listen and reply to their superficial irrelevant smalltalk. They never care or notice if those other people are just doing this out of courtesy, then try to bully them into continuing by calling them rude and socially inept, when they are the ones being rude by putting their needs above others.

That goes so far that probably most people are just pretending to be extrovert and the few real extroverts are just disillusioned into assuming they were in the majority. As can be seen from people using public transport and the many people looking into their phones, most are not and just pretend when around people they care deeply enough for. Only about 1 in 100 times you use a bus/train there is a single rude person out of the many using the bus/train trying to force others into talking to them.

In short, extroverts care for quantity of conversation, introverts care for quality of conversation.

I've done it to intentionally be rude at gatherings I didn't want to be at. I turn the ringer and vibrate off when I'm with people I actually like. I can ignore checking to see if a message exists, but if a message exists it's extremely hard for me to ignore it.

How is this working out for you? What do you get out of being intentionally rude except the questionable pleasure of being seen as the grumpy guy?

There is two sides to this, its just socially more accepted to blame introverts.

To show the backside of the coin (sorry for being blunt, but the thread already started very bluntly): Extroverts are just shallow people, who gain perceived self-worth by counting how long other people pretend to listen and reply to their superficial irrelevant smalltalk. They never care or notice if those other people are just doing this out of courtesy, then try to bully them into continuing by calling them rude and socially inept, when they are the ones being rude by putting their needs above others.

That goes so far that probably most people are just pretending to be extrovert and the few real extroverts are just disillusioned into assuming they were in the majority. As can be seen from people using public transport and the many people looking into their phones, most are not and just pretend when around people they care deeply enough for. Only about 1 in 100 times you use a bus/train there is a single rude person out of the many using the bus/train trying to force others into talking to them.

In short, extroverts care for quantity of conversation, introverts care for quality of conversation.

Introversion/extroversion has nothing to do with how sociable, shallow or shy you are or not.

Introverts charge their batteries with time alone. Extroverts charge their batteries by being around other people. That is all.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement