Advises For The Future

Started by
5 comments, last by Valoon 9 years, 3 months ago

Greetings,

First I will want to state that, English is not my native language. Therefore, you might find few mistakes. Regardless of the situation, I hope my post is suitable for this forum.

I am a 12th grade student living in Israel. I will want to move to Germany in the future and enter to a "Game Design & Development" university but, I am not quite sure. So, I wanted to know which university you recommend the most? Also, I wanted to know how things work too. For example, if I enter to a game development university, do they let you focus on few areas, or they teach you everything (Game design, storytelling, audiovisual design, animation prototyping, programming and technology, project management, video game & media studies)?
Because, I am an artist (concept artist) and storyteller too. I would like to create the game and control how it will become in the final product, and not just being an artist in a big Company, where I can not do nothing beside what they tell me to do. Of course at the beginning of my carrier I would join a company in order to earn money, but in the future I mean, I want to be able to control the final product and how the game and the world will be in the end. Also, I will want to develop my skills in the areas of art and writing. So mainly, I would like to focus on the game design, the concept art and storytelling, but also to be able to be educated in the areas of technical and programmatic stuff. So, Should I go to an Art university? Or should I go to the field of game design and development?

Thanks for your time and help.

Regards,
Ronnie Nimer smile.png

Advertisement

I would think game design universities focus on game design and creation. I would be money that some would have classes dedicated to art and storylines. Concept art is a huge base for all games. Implementing the concept art is a field in game development all by itself. Story telling is a whole nother thing. I dont see too many universities investing much in that area.

A big laugh is the age old, "so game designers think they can tell a story huh?"

Depending on what you plan on ending up doing in the long run, I would look at going to a school with dedicated programs for art and storytelling. I would say any game design program would treat the art and storytelling as a second hand thing, focusing mainly on game mechanics, enviroments, language, AI, physics, implementation, deployment and all that stuff.

Your best bet would be to find out how certain universities rate, get the specifics on what programs those universities offer, talk to the university and talk to people that are enrolled there.

Good luck and have fun!!!!

Moving this to the Game Industry Job Advice forum. Ronnie, please read the GIJA forum FAQs.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Well, what you ask is basically to be an indie dev since you want to touch a bit of everything in the game (or control as you say).

To do that I think something general about game development would be the best + a lot of work on the side (like making entire small games alone).

The problem is that you say you would like to start at a big game company as a concept artist to get some money. To get this job you need to be really amazing at concept art and to do that the best would be to do art school + lot of work on the side (but only doing art for a big portfolio).

I don't think you can get a concept artist job if your portfolio is about full games even if they are beautiful.

I would say the best bet would be to go for the concept artist education and while you are a concept artist work on the side for the game making part, but concept artist is a really hard job to get and usually it's not a full time job which makes this tricky.

Tom Sloper- Sorry and thanks that you moved my post, I did read the FAQs, but probably I understood it wrong.

YellzBellz- Thanks for answering, but I find it hard to understand you unsure.png. Regardless, I did understood the last part and you are probably right. I should "find out how certain universities rate, get the specifics on what programs those universities offer, talk to the university and talk to people that are enrolled there".

Valoon- Thanks a lot, I think I am going on your answer. You are probably right, I should go to art university and do my best there.

Thanks for everybody,
Best of luck!

enter to a "Game Design & Development" ... I should go to art university ... I am an artist (concept artist) and storyteller too

Let's put it this way:

Do you most prefer to write computer code, to debug, to understand software architecture? Do you have a bunch of software experiments that you have written? Do you want to spend hours every day writing source code?

Do you most prefer to draw and create art? Do you have a pile of notepads and a collection of pencils from 9H to 9B or a range of markers or watercolor or other medium? Or perhaps animation, do you study facial expressions and emotion, how to convey weight, how to convey speed, and how things move? Do you want to spend hours each day with a pen or stylus in hand?

Do you most prefer to build paper-based games, with hand-drawn maps, with D&D style tables to calculate damage and armor? Do you spend your time carefully analyzing the rules of play, identifying game mechanics that you like and dislike?

Do you most prefer writing dialog between characters? Do you spend your time writing scripts and stories, perhaps participate in NaNoWriMo? Do you study grammar and language and communications?

These are the programming, art, design, and writing fields. The industry needs all of them. Usually people employed to fill ONE of those fields. Pick the one you most enjoy, the one you do naturally in your spare time.

Tom Sloper- Sorry and thanks that you moved my post, I did read the FAQs, but probably I understood it wrong.

YellzBellz- Thanks for answering, but I find it hard to understand you unsure.png. Regardless, I did understood the last part and you are probably right. I should "find out how certain universities rate, get the specifics on what programs those universities offer, talk to the university and talk to people that are enrolled there".

Valoon- Thanks a lot, I think I am going on your answer. You are probably right, I should go to art university and do my best there.

Thanks for everybody,
Best of luck!

You should wait for some confirmation, I am not a concept artist myself so I might be wrong.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement