• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Isometric Tileset engine

This topic is 5945 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am working on my own isometric engine and now I am trying with the terrain transition. Searching on Gamedev, I found the article about 2d Tile Render with Direct 3d. It is very interesting. Now I have the original directdraw engine and the alternative engine with direct 3d I have a couple of doubts: 1) With direct draw, I use BltFast with my clipping function, be cause it is faster than use directx clipper and BitBlt. With direct3d must I use the directx clipper? Is it very complex to do a clipper function? 2)Working with my map editor, I need to put a tile and the engine must calculate the neighbour tiles (and the transitions, of course). Like the warcraft map editor With the original engine (directdraw only) I think to make 16 tiles with their terran transitions (coast-water, grass-coast) Is there some algorithm for calculate the neighbour tiles or I must to put several "if" sentences for each one? I was reading something about Direct 3d. Can I do it with alpha blending instead of draw a set of transitions for each terrain? Please if you have an example of that or you know where can I found source code, it will be wonderful Thanks to everybody Cheers, Arcangel

Advertisement
The way I did transitions with my engine was like this:

1. Put terrains in order of transition (further to left "goes over" tiles to right)

EG: Mountains -> Hills -> Grass -> Desert -> Water

2. Starting from left call the terrain type an int:

EG: Mountains (0) -> Hills (1) -> Grass (2) -> Desert (3) -> Water (4)

3. Simply ask if the terrain of neighbor tile is less than terrain of focus tile. If true then draw the transition.

Hope this helps.

Dale

-----------------------------
Student - "How do I make my first game?"
Lecturer - "Based on your marks from your last assessment?"

Thanks Dale, for your answers. I will try with this.

Did you test your engine with direct3d render?
Be cause, i am looking for (too) transitions with alpha blending (but I dont know how to do it )

Cheers

Arcangel

Hi there,

look up multi-texturing on a D3D site,
I use OpenGL so i cant be of anymore help than that
im afraid.

Hope it helps

Mark.

• Advertisement