XP and Visual C++ and DirectX8

Started by
3 comments, last by GyCot 22 years, 5 months ago
I am really tempted to switch over to XP soon, but I heard a few people had trouble making DirectX 8 projects in it. For example, it would compile fine, but then when they tried to run it, the screen would go black, then go right back to visual studio. Any truth to this? Is there a work around? Its not just drivers, they can play the "direct x 8" games.
Advertisement
Heya,

Yeah, Right!

None of that is true. Neither the problem is XP...
I havent had any issues whatever with XP and making projects in VC++ 6.0 for DX8. Just stay away from the beta versions of XP like RC1.
Found out the problem, he had creative''s geforce 256 pro. And, as usual, creative isn''t too quick to support the new os and of course their card refuses to work with the reference drivers. I KNEW there was a reason i was still using win 98
I've had a similar problem....
The first time I installed XP, I also installed the latest drivers for my graphics-card from Asus, not knowing that there was a driver at the time called DetonatorXP.
A few days later I found out about it and uninstalled Asus drivers and installed DetonatorXP from NVidia.
(I have a GF2MX Pro 64MB - Asus V7100.)

So, when I compiled and ran the DX8 project the program would run, but when I closed it, the screen would go blank. It didn't matter if I had the same resolution on the project as my desktop.
So there was no other choice but to reset the computer...

But, but...This time when installing XP, I solely installed DetonatorXP and I has worked fine since then.

My conclusion is that it would be a driver-issue.

/R

Edited by - pt99rbl on November 10, 2001 8:04:29 AM

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement