Theory behind point and click adventure game programming?

Started by
4 comments, last by Shatley123 9 years, 3 months ago

Does anybody know any good articles, tutorials, etc. on how to go about programming a point and click adventure game? It doesn't have to be anything to specific (though Unity would be great). It seems like a very hard thing to make generic, as every puzzle has you doing different things, in different ways, and i'm confused on how I would go about doing this.

Oh yeah, and happy New Year, wish you guys luck on any projects you are starting or working on.

Advertisement
Basically the idea behind these games is that you have a world with a navigation mesh(es) — a lot of hidden points in the map that allows the player avoid obstacles, etc. When clicking to the player go to certain location, you need to find the closest path to the location using the navigation mesh(es) as a shortcut. With some sort of navigation algorithm (usually A* solves this problem) you can compute the steering forces each time you find a point in the navigation mesh, this way you can make the object move to a certain location by changing the velocity of the object, using that point to compute the direction to where the player should move.
There's a lot of stuff on the web. Here you can go to Forums->Technical->Artificial Intelligence.
Also, I believe that Unity already have navigation meshes to grab and use. Using that plus other components — like physics, etc. — you can make the basic structure of a point and click game.
Some quick Googling returns plenty of results relating to creating point and click adventure games in Unity, from blog posts to frameworks. What are you searching for, what have you found? Is there anything specific that these kinds of resources are lacking?

Some quick Googling returns plenty of results relating to creating point and click adventure games in Unity, from blog posts to frameworks. What are you searching for, what have you found? Is there anything specific that these kinds of resources are lacking?

I'm looking for something that kind of explains the theory behind a point and click adventure game. I saw the big Unity adventure game framework on the asset store, and i'm defiantly considering getting it, but apart from that, there really doesn't seem to be many good tutorials for this genre. So I figured I would see if anybody had any suggestions.

Tutorials like that it's basically what I've mentioned before.

Basically the idea behind these games is that you have a world with a navigation mesh(es) — a lot of hidden points in the map that allows the player avoid obstacles, etc. When clicking to the player go to certain location, you need to find the closest path to the location using the navigation mesh(es) as a shortcut. With some sort of navigation algorithm (usually A* solves this problem) you can compute the steering forces each time you find a point in the navigation mesh, this way you can make the object move to a certain location by changing the velocity of the object, using that point to compute the direction to where the player should move.
There's a lot of stuff on the web. Here you can go to Forums->Technical->Artificial Intelligence.
Also, I believe that Unity already have navigation meshes to grab and use. Using that plus other components — like physics, etc. — you can make the basic structure of a point and click game.

Thanks, I appreciate the replies. But i'm actually more curious how the puzzle setup works. I figure i'll just use RAIN for the movement and such, but I find it hard to wrap my mind around how to program the puzzle functionality. Every puzzles different (different results from finishing it, different ways to solve it, different animations involved, ect.), so should I just setup some sort of framework of useful functions and make a new script for every puzzle? I don't really know how else to go about doing it but before I start making anything I want to make sure i'm doing it as efficiently as possible.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement