The largest and most "random" RPG ever...

Started by
19 comments, last by Shadows 22 years, 5 months ago
For the last 2½ years I''ve been working on a game called "Rogue" it is sort of a Diablo, Ultima game with sort of Delta Force, Tomb Raider like graphics (Dungeons are in BSP format and the landscapes are heightmaps). The engine supports Isometric view of the landscapes (I''m currently planning to use this as a map feature). The game is extremely configurable and easy to update (NPC''s, Levels, Maps, Towns, Weapons, Magics, Models... all that can be updated without the need to patch any DLL or EXE file). The linear part of the story (which probably will be at least 6 to 8 times as long as the one in Diablo II) is only about 10-15% of the actual game. Now the reason for this post is that I want feedback and ideas and lots of ''em. The game is set in a medieval fantasy world. If you''ve thought about a weapon or an enemy or a town or a spell or a region or a model or a heightmap or anything that you think I could use throughout the making please post it here or e-mail me at: fredrik_8c@hotmail.com... If I use your idea, even if it''s only a weapon you''ll be mentioned as a contributor in the credits. If there will be any noticable interest on this subject I''ll post more details, such as a map of the empire, some weapons, characters, NPCs, chracter classes, magic and spell systems and the likes of that. // Shadows Rogue Software
Advertisement
You idea sound neat, but "Rogue" is already a randomly-generated RPG. Granted, it was a text game, and I am sure you are going to put in loads of other nifty stuff, that name has already been used.
As a matter of fact, ''Rogue'' is not only a random RPG, it''s an extremely well known random RPG. There''s a whole genre of games called ''roguelike'' games.

If you aren''t intending to just be an update of the old Rogue game, I''d strongly recommend changing names. Rogue is so well known there''s no way people wouldn''t assume that your game was just an update or a sequel.
Ok I suppose I could change the title but it seems like if ''Rogue'' really do describe the game somehow. Suppose I could call the game ''Shadowheart'', ''Destiny'', ''Legacy'' or something like that but that really doesn''t matter much right now the most important thing is to gather ideas and inspiration.

Regards Shadows
Just a note with random i mean that the engine is able to generate totally random dungeons, landscapes, adventures, quests, NPCs, monsters, towns and stuff like that...

// Shadows
Like I said, the game sounds interesting. You''ll have to be careful implementing the random stuff, so it isn''t so random as to look crappy. But if done right, you might have the world''s most replayable game.
A question:
Right now the game has the capability of generating somewhere around 12million random names in races as variating as humans, demons, elves, dwarves and adding suffixes and titles to that... well... now will the game be more or less belivable if all enemies have names?

// Shadows
Man, Rogue is such a good game. I remember playing it on an old IBM compatible in 1982. It''s surprising how much fun you can have when you''re an ''@'' symbol and all the monsters are letters of the alphabet. Rogue is the spiritual predecessor to Diablo. Respect your roots man!!

_________________________The Idea Foundry
quote:Original post by Shadows
A question:
Right now the game has the capability of generating somewhere around 12million random names in races as variating as humans, demons, elves, dwarves and adding suffixes and titles to that... well... now will the game be more or less belivable if all enemies have names?

Neato.
I considered doing that before, but it seemed like too much effort to write the random-name generator.
Sweet.
I''ve written a random name generator before, it''s not to much work really.

Anyway... ideas:
- Randomly generate how enemies look, not just their names... like have certain points in a model that can have a random number... for like... a big nose or small nose, and maybe a random number to stretch the model so it can either be tall, short, fat, skinny, or whatever.
- Weapon and item names... I would think you would just name them by the properties of whatever the weapon had... if it''s a sword call it a sword... if it''s a sword that causes fire damage call it a fire sword(of course you could be more descriptive than sword).
- A random name generator for towns too maybe? if that''s not already there.

Anyway I''m out of ideas for you.

EAX
EAX

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement