Would anyone be interested in being interviewed?

Started by
4 comments, last by dancingmad 9 years, 3 months ago

Hey I'm Harry

I am conducting a research project regarding the development and publishing of games and I would like to conduct some interviews with currently working Game Developers. The questions will pertain to subjects such as language/engine used to code, creative process, publishing process, and suggestions for an individual starting out in the world of game developing.

The interview will not be published in any public manner but it will be included in my project report.

So if you are interested please let me know :) I would be extremely grateful.

Advertisement

Bump

I don't mean to bother, but it would seriously be helpful if a few people could help me out with this interview. I just need a couple interviewees, and the interview is not very long.

Sorry to bother

Well, what exactly do you mean by "working Game Developers"? Do hobbyist gamedevs count or only professionals? Programmers (you talk about code), Artists, Designers, marketing people (publishing)?

This information would at least make it easier for people to determine if they are even in your target audience.

You should post some of the questions you expect to ask, by way of a sample, as that way people can gauge how much of a time commitment this is going to be.

Incidentally, you should also clarify whether this is an "interview" or a "survey." I've done a lot of these things and almost everybody who posts the kind of thing you are posting is really talking about a survey. To clarify, a survey is where you have a set of pre-selected questions you're going to send somebody and then they'll type up answers and send them back. And that concludes the arrangement.

By contrast, an interview starts with one question and proceeds into a conversation, where you the interviewer ask follow-up questions based on what the interviewee has said. While you may have a few other pre-prepared questions in your pocket in case the conversation dies out or doesn't cover all the topics you want, you are fundamentally having a chat with somebody and not just giving them a list of rote questions to answer.

Well, what exactly do you mean by "working Game Developers"? Do hobbyist gamedevs count or only professionals? Programmers (you talk about code), Artists, Designers, marketing people (publishing)?

This information would at least make it easier for people to determine if they are even in your target audience.

Originally I did intend to only be interviewing professional gamedevs, but after interviewing an individual yesterday I have realized that hobbyist gamedevs will also be a help to me.

As for whether I am looking for a particular type of dev (programming, design etc) I am not. I would like to interview people from all of these fields so that I may learn more about all the different aspects of the development process. I would also like to interview some people who are familiar with mobile game development.

You should post some of the questions you expect to ask, by way of a sample, as that way people can gauge how much of a time commitment this is going to be.

Incidentally, you should also clarify whether this is an "interview" or a "survey." I've done a lot of these things and almost everybody who posts the kind of thing you are posting is really talking about a survey. To clarify, a survey is where you have a set of pre-selected questions you're going to send somebody and then they'll type up answers and send them back. And that concludes the arrangement.

By contrast, an interview starts with one question and proceeds into a conversation, where you the interviewer ask follow-up questions based on what the interviewee has said. While you may have a few other pre-prepared questions in your pocket in case the conversation dies out or doesn't cover all the topics you want, you are fundamentally having a chat with somebody and not just giving them a list of rote questions to answer.

I believe that it could be considered a semi-structured interview. I do have a list of pre-determined questions that I need answered, but if I find an interesting line of inquiry I will ask some other questions to learn more.

Some sample questions are:

How long have you been in game development?

How are you involved in the game development process?

What are some games/projects your are involved in the development of?

For someone starting out in game development looking to make their first, how would you recommend they go about it? such as learn the language, or use a tool such as Game Maker

Thanks to both of you for giving me some feedback :)

Hi

I'd be glad to participate in your research project! I've been developing games as a hobby for many years, and professionally since 2010. You can PM me your questions, or if you want, we can schedule a call on skype or someting (but note that i don't speak english very well and my time zone is UTC+1).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement