Problem installing SDL in visual studio 2015

Started by
3 comments, last by habri 9 years, 2 months ago

Hi, I'm trying to install sdl2 in visual studio 2015, and I'm having errors that I don't have in visual studio 2010.

1>------ Build started: Project: Mario Clone, Configuration: Debug Win32 ------
1>SDL2main.lib(SDL_windows_main.obj) : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__fprintf referenced in function _ShowError
1>SDL2main.lib(SDL_windows_main.obj) : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp____iob_func referenced in function _ShowError
1>C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\VC\lib\OLDNAMES.lib : warning LNK4272: library machine type 'UNKNOWN' conflicts with target machine type 'X86'
1>C:\Users\Acer Aspire\Documents\Visual Studio 2015\Projects\Mario Clone\Debug\Mario Clone.exe : fatal error LNK1120: 2 unresolved externals
========== Build: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========

I'm trying to refactor my game but I this error while testing this simple code.

#include <SDL\SDL.h>

int main(int argc, char* argv[])
{
   SDL_Init(SDL_INIT_EVERYTHING);
   return 0;
}

I include the x86 sdl lib, and target x86 machine, i also used Multi-threaded DLL (/MD) to remove this error:

?warning LNK4098: defaultlib 'msvcrt.lib' conflicts with use of other libs; use /NODEFAULTLIB:library

Advertisement

Have you tried recompiling all of SDL yet and cleaning your build?

I haven't dabbled with SDL at all but these errors seem pretty generic. It looks like it's trying to link old versions of the libraries possibly built against a different platform and/or system.

Hmm, thought I replied to this one already.

You'll need to recompile SDL2main and possibly change its use of fprintf to printf.

VS2015 contains a completely rewritten CRT with many bug and conformance fixes. It's not surprising that this kind of breakage happened; it's not clear if this is a temporary bug with the CRT being incompatible or if all static libraries (like SDL2main) will have to be recompiled for VS2015's runtime.

SDL is great and all, but its Windows support is a little odd at times. It still can't compile cleanly on the Windows 8 SDK out of the box, for instance (this is largely Microsoft's fault, honestly). The choice to ship SDL2main as a library instead of a header-only addition (it's not like it'll be included from more than one file) is just... problematic. As seen here.

Sean Middleditch – Game Systems Engineer – Join my team!

As the above two have already mentioned, it is probably a good idea to build the SDL2 source using Visual Studio 2015, and use the libraries built as a result to avoid issues with the CRT.

I haven't tried this because I don't have VS2015 yet. Otherwise, I'd gladly contribute to this because my custom engine uses SDL. So, give that a try if you can. If you get build errors, feel free to share, and I'll see what I can do to help.

Shogun.

Hi .. I don't know if you did find a solution or not .. but I did tried to compile using the latest builds from sdl's buildbot and it did work

check it out here https://buildbot.libsdl.org/sdl-builds/sdl-visualstudio/

I did used sdl-visualstudio-2225.zip but newest builds should work .. smile.png

Have a good day smile.png

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement