Geographical realities

Started by
5 comments, last by Tom Sloper 9 years, 3 months ago

Hello,

I don't know know how much of this is seeking advice and how much is seeking reassurance, but here goes...

Long short, I'm 35, went back to school a year ago after a layoff to study coding with intentions of going into game development.

I can find all the answers to all the typical questions newbies ask but I can't seem to find this one.

If I land a job in the business, where are the more likely areas I will be living?

I ask this because I'm not a young 20-something out of college but I have a family and won't be able to change states on a whim. Also, some companies I had my eye on years ago either no longer exist or have relocated - in some cases a significant distance.

What about the indy rout? There are 100 folks out there for every job opening so I have told myself this might be a reality when I'm first starting out. I have seen a couple of job ads in that realm that are essentially telecommuting.

Anyway, any advice would be great.

Thanks,

Jeff

Advertisement

http://www.gamedevmap.com/

I haven't used it and I don't work in the industry yet, so I can't tell you how up to date it is.

I would also consider cities that have a game development conference. The game industry here in Ottawa has recently taken off, so we just got a game dev conference.

It is going to be hard to find a job at your age of 35.

Programming / development is VERY discriminatory about age in the US.

I cannot remember the books I've read any more than the meals I have eaten; even so, they have made me.

~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Check around and see if your city has a independent game developer's group. Mine has a couple and it's not a huge city (it's not tiny, but not one of the top 50 either). It's a good way to start working with others and build up a portfolio, and there's always the chance that your group will actually release a successful game smile.png

Also, I share your age-pain tongue.png I'm 36 myself. I can't speak for the major industry publishers, but, I've noticed of the independent developers, 30's is not an uncommon age bracket. The major publishers I'm sure eat up the young talent for various reasons (cheaper labor, few familial obligations so you can work them 60+ hours, etc), but you're by no means to old to develop games with other like-minded folk, or even yourself. If it gets you down, just read some horror stories of crunch time at the large companies and it quickly becomes a much less desirable career choice tongue.png.

Beginner here <- please take any opinions with grain of salt

I am turning 35 this year myself, and I also live in an area that is basically a game dev wasteland (At the moment, at least... ).

Only difference is, I still have a job, so I have the luxury to treat game dev as hobby while I get into it... still not sure wheter or not to go pro or go Indie at some point, but I'll do it the "product first" route and try to come up with some nice game prototypes before I dive in head first (old fashioned, I know smile.png )

Before you decide on game dev as your next career, do some reality check... I am not the expert, but this is what I gathered from what the pros share:

1) Landing a job in an existing studio is hard. You need to be exceptionally talented / good at selling yourself to land a job as a game dev anyway, as Code Fox wrote, more so as an older dev.

2) creating an Indie game that makes a reasonable profit is hard. Lots try, most seem to fail or fail to make the money they invested back. Very few seem to land a big hit, and they will end up in the newspapers, making youngsters believe it is easy to be the next notch.

So going with the asumption that you don't have the needed work expierience / degree / portfolio for landing a game dev job, or you really want to bootstrap your own business:

If you have no obligations / family / rent to pay (which you seem to have), enough savings to live some years off it, or can scale back your living expenses enough to survive on what you have in savings (ramen noodles and all that), and you have a REAL passion for game dev (just make sure you "try before you buy", so to speak: see what game dev really is like before you dive in), go ahead, learn all you still need to learn, become an Indie or build up a CV and Portfolio that might land you a game dev job.

Just make sure you and your family have enough to survive until you get a payout from your game dev career, which might take a while.

If you do not want to take the risk, first look for a job in another business area before you build up your bussiness as Indie or your CV for a Game dev job. It is hard to shine when you and your family have to starve.

Other lines of work also look for programmers, business dev can be a well paid job, and there are much more job openings usually.

And at least where I live, more and more technical jobs are also offering the possibility of going part time (which is what I do).

On relocation I think others can help much more than me. As an european, I would find it even difficult to really place the state names on the right spot on a map (besides the well known ones like Florida or California) smile.png

Just my 2 cents

I am in the same age bracket as the OP, and i have realised that i do not want to make my hobby (game development) my 9-5 job.

Game development is a job for those able to commit long hours to their job, work lots of overtime at crunch time before a deadline, and for those who have few commitments outside work.

For those who have family commitments such as ourselves (which lets be honest, will always be more important) there is nothing at all wrong with the idea of keeping our hobby a hobby. This way you have no financial pressures forcing you to compromise your creative talents.

Above all, enjoy what you do!

If I land a job in the business, where are the more likely areas I will be living?

Check gamedevmap and gameindustrymap.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement