isnt XNA dead?

Started by
8 comments, last by Brain 9 years, 3 months ago

I've heard that Microsoft won't update XNA and that it only supports DirectX 9.

Is that true? if so why people are still using it? I wouldn't bother to use something that will stay old forever.

Am i missing something?

Advertisement

You're missing the fact that despite this it still works, that it still covers a sufficiently high percentage of what you need a graphics API for, that it's more than just a graphics API but also a content pipeline and toolkit, and that it's still useful for learning with.

Direct3D has need of instancing, but we do not. We have plenty of glVertexAttrib calls.

Not just that, but although Microsoft no longer supports xna, and won't release newer versions, monogame is its spiritual successor supported by the opensource community, with new versions released regularly. If you want to use the xna framework simply download and use monogame and be happy :)

Along with it still working as mhagain said, there is multiple frameworks around that are still very active that are very similar to XNA (such as MonoGame). So a lot of the things you will learn are still extremely pertinent.

XNA is also a great entry point for learning how to develop games. Having a through understanding of how the different parts work together is far more useful than having some shiny new piece of technology.

You dont throw out your car because its old and isnt going to be updated anymore, if it does the job you need it to do.

I've heard that Microsoft won't update XNA and that it only supports DirectX 9.

Is that true? if so why people are still using it? I wouldn't bother to use something that will stay old forever.

Am i missing something?

yeah you are missing the part where a starting indie team will hardly need to make a call of duty level of 3d game

also even esperienced team might prefer to keep workign on something they know well and is easy and fast to develop...

DirectX9, WindowsXP, XHTML, GIF, XNA and my 2006 Mitsubishi Sedan are "dead", if that's the word we're now using for items that are no longer receiving updates.

People still use these things, because despite what that overly emotional label suggests, they're still functioning.

It'd be pretty silly to tell someone not to use JPEG because it's no longer being updated and thus is therefore dead technology.

DirectX9, WindowsXP, XHTML, GIF, XNA and my 2006 Mitsubishi Sedan are "dead", if that's the word we're now using for items that are no longer receiving updates.

People still use these things, because despite what that overly emotional label suggests, they're still functioning.

It'd be pretty silly to tell someone not to use JPEG because it's no longer being updated and thus is therefore dead technology.

Although in my opinion it would be pretty silly to continue to use XP, simply due to the lack of updates...

Although in my opinion it would be pretty silly to continue to use XP, simply due to the lack of updates...

For a personal desktop/server that's plugged into the interwebs, sure. But you can be certain it's still running a lot of retail/POS machines, gambling/entertainment machines, kiosks, advertising boards, etc...
In those cases, there's no point spending the time and money investigating whether one (working) cog in your machine (the OS) can be swapped out for a new shiny cog without affecting operations. The fact that the best case scenario is that your operations aren't affected kinda says it all :D
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
On the plus side, you no longer have to worry about rewriting your code each time a new version of XNA comes out.

You also don't have to wait 6 months to a year for the XNA team to support the latest version of Visual Studio (which adds support for the new C# hotness) when new versions of that come out.

In those cases, there's no point spending the time and money investigating whether one (working) cog in your machine (the OS) can be swapped out for a new shiny cog without affecting operations. The fact that the best case scenario is that your operations aren't affected kinda says it all biggrin.png
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Yeah, I'm pretty certain there are still lots of ATM machines out there running OS/2 and some running NT4...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement