• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Butabee

Unity Unity Optimal Bone/Polygon Count

This topic is 1257 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

If I were to have 256 active characters in a Unity(free version) scene, what would be an estimate of optimal polygon, and bone count per character that could run 60+ on a mainstream gamer PC? They all would use the same materials.

Advertisement

As I understand it, GPU skinning is only availabe with the pro version, So wouldn't a high poly count be pretty taxing on the CPU? Increased with a lot of bones as well?

GPU skinning is only availabe with the pro version, So wouldn't a high poly count be pretty taxing on the CPU? Increased with a lot of bones as well?

DX11-based and newer OpenGL GPU skinning is a Pro feature, yes. The Pro version supports up to 4096 bones per mesh using GPU skinning. 

The non-Pro version just doesn't use the newer hardware features. They use older hardware features.

The Mechanim animation system has several different modes, and the different modes divide the work up various different ways between CPU and GPU. Depending on your Animator, Controller, and bone configuration, it may all be on the GPU or all on the CPU or some of both, in both the Pro and Free version.

Edited by frob

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!