Sign in to follow this  
noodleBowl

Bad Practice? Multiple VAOs

I'm rounding out a particle emitter I'm creating, which uses transform feedback. As you can guess, I have a update method to update my particles and then a render method to actually show them on the screen.

To avoid floating point issues, in my transform feedback I'm using GL_POINTS and then out 4 values per input.
E.G Update code:

//CPU side of things
glBeginTransformfeedback(GL_POINTS);
glDrawArrays(GL_POINTS, 0, particleCount);
glEndTransformfeedback();

//In my Shader code
//My Shader Inputs/Outputs
in vec2 positionIN;
out vec2 position0OUT;
out vec2 position1OUT;
out vec2 position2OUT;
out vec2 position3OUT;
When I hit the render method I use my buffer that I just wrote to, I am Ping-Ponging the buffers too, to get the particles on the screen. Where I use glDrawElements and GL_TRIANGLES, so I'm basically expanding the points from the transform feedback into a quad.
//CPU side of things
glBeginTransformfeedback(GL_POINTS);
glDrawArrays(GL_POINTS, 0, particleCount);
glEndTransformfeedback();

//In my Shader code
//My Shader Inputs/Outputs
in vec2 positionIN;
out vec2 position0OUT;
out vec2 position1OUT;
out vec2 position2OUT;
out vec2 position3OUT;

Here is where my question comes in. In order for this to happen I believe I need 4 VAOs.

1 VAO for the way the data should be interpenetrated in the update method. This VAO skips redundant data since I want avoid recalculating the same information over and over.

1 VAO for the way the data should be interpenetrated in the render method. Does not skip data and interprets 1 GL_POINT from the transform feedback as a quad's vertex.

A additional VAO for each of the above because I need to Ping-Pong my VBO buffers.

So am I creating a situation for myself where I'm falling into a bad practice?
Is this too many VAOs for one object, where there is a high chance that there will multiple instances of this object?

Would it be better to just bind the buffer I need?

//Example: code in update mehtod
glBindVertexArray(renderVAO)
glBindBuffer(GL_ARRAY_BUFFER, vbos[currentVBO]);

/* Other code for transform feedback */

VAO are not heavyweight, so if they simplify your approach I would recommend using them. In this case, I don't see why not. If you are using GL 4.2+ ( methinks) you could use the vertex attribute binding functionality to do the same thing.