Getting start with game industry. Need some help

Started by
0 comments, last by jpetrie 9 years, 3 months ago

Hello everyone. First I want to say that I am a big newbie here. Until now I used only visual basic programming language (pretty stupid, I know but it was enought for me to do some app for loop/getting data and so on), but some days ago I started to learn about game programming, and what I learn until now.

Single-Player games -> This can be interesting too. I can use my models I did from mmorpg and every ideea to this game and just do a bit of network using something like steam co-op (borderlands 2) (or I don't really know what it is called, but I want to say that option where you can invite steam users to play your game in co-op like borderlands 2), but here can be some problems. First, I hate the ideea that a game where I just spend a year can be cracked and people are going to play 1/2 months and let it.

ORPG -> I just don't like this type of game, it's just too "low" for our century.

2d game -> Nothing to say, just NO.

Here is what I want to choose:

MMORPG -> Hard to do and I can spend a couple of years to put this game into early alpha, but it's fun and you can learn a lot of things.

Survival game like DayZ -> Here I have a big ideea about it. First, DayZ is servel based, this means that you need to connect to a server in order to play. This is pretty stupid because: 1. If the backpack is saved, you can enter on a 0 player server, get cool stuffs and after it going to kill players on a full server. 2. If the backpack is not saved and server is closed, you lose all the stuffs you get and of course, just blame the game and uninstall it.

Now, my ideea is to make an openworld game. Not an simple open-world game, but an real-time open-world. What I mean by it? I saw on the internet (need to search that site again) where you could download something like google maps, and use it in your own game. It has 30-40GB I think, but here is my ideea. Survival game which is taking place on a real-map world, where you could choose to spawn into your country/city and making aliance, fight agains other nation and of course, agains a lot of zombies, and things like that. It's a big too high for me, but I can learn everything I need :D I have enought time for it.

Here is what I want to ask:

1. What I can do? MMORPG or that survival game?

2. What Engine I should choose? and if is here an user-friendly enginee? I mean something like blueprint system from UE4, but I read that unity have plugin for that google maps library (I will search exact name of that).

3. What programming language I should know for achieve this? I mean game programming and network programming

4. What I should use for networking? And if it is possible, I want something which can hold up to 2k players/server.

Thanks.

Advertisement

It sounds to me like you are jumping the gun, I'm afraid. You've only just started learning about game programming, and appear to have some limited experience with Visual Basic programming.

So what programming language are you using? Visual Basic, or something else?

Games (especially the type you are dreaming about) are complex software development projects and you need to build up your own capability for producing large projects by working on smaller, simpler projects. Have you made a simple text-based guess-the-number game? How about a text-based Blackjack game?

If you haven't, build those. If you cannot build those on your own in your programming language of choice you almost certainly lack the basic programming skills necessary.

Once you've got a handle on those simple text-based games, you can move on to learning about event-based programming models, which most windowing APIs use. You'll need to use some kind of windowing API (directly or indirectly) to build a basic 2D game... which is your next step, your naive attitude about 2D games notwithstanding. 2D graphical games introduce a lot of complexity into the engineering process and you don't generally want to couple learning that complexity with learning the complexity of the basic 3D graphics math you need to properly understand representation and moving about in a 3D game world.

You have to start small and build up from foundational pieces. If you try to just jump directly into building an MMO with only basic loops and "getting data" in Visual Basic under your belt you will not succeed. It is not just a matter of "you don't know enough so, so progress will be slow" and it taking a a couple of years to get into an early alpha. It's a matter of "you lack the minimum amount of knowledge to make any forward progress."

To address your specific questions:

1. What I can do? MMORPG or that survival game?

You cannot realistically do either of those now. Focus on simpler games first. Eventually you may be able to make some kind of survival game but an MMO is not going to happen.
What Engine I should choose? and if is here an user-friendly enginee? I mean something like blueprint system from UE4, but I read that unity have plugin for that google maps library (I will search exact name of that).

There are hundreds of options for engines and you've given no concrete requirements for what you need, so it's basically impossible for anybody to narrow this down for you.
3. What programming language I should know for achieve this? I mean game programming and network programming

Ideally, the one you know best. If you don't know any reasonably well, I'd pick C# or Python and start learning to develop simple games with either of those.
4. What I should use for networking? And if it is possible, I want something which can hold up to 2k players/server.

This seems totally irrelevant for you to worry about at this stage in your development.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement