Where should i start with programming?

Started by
13 comments, last by Honchkrow 9 years, 3 months ago

I'm looking to start computer programming, I would like to do C++. I know a small portion of general programming like variables, functions, xy, etc. but I don't know much past that, should I start with a book? is there an online course i can do? And I've also heard that in order for visual 'things' to happen you need another program for that??? I would really appreciate if someone could help!

Advertisement

The FAQ might help answer some of your questions.

Hello to all my stalkers.

You might find this useful:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/388242/the-definitive-c-book-guide-and-list

Ok well, you are at a good starting point you know the language you want to learn. So start reading on C++ also make sure you are using the IDE you are most comfortable with. I would recommend Visual Studios if you are on Windows. Start small and very procedural don't try to go too fast.

If you mean visual as in graphics for games... Then not quite a different program just a library like including DirectX. OpenGL if you want to stay at a lower level (which is painful at first). I don't recommend going straight into graphics, stick with console applications for now. Once you can make a small text-based RPG, hangman, guess the number, etc... then move to graphics.

Once you move into graphics look at SDL or SFML much easier to get started in and have graphics, audio. Hope that helps you.

But should i use on online tutorial, or a book, or anything else i didn't think of, which is more immersive in your opinion? (And regarding graphics, i was just wandering, im not jumping straight into a game)

I would strongly recommend against C++ as a first language, it is not beginner-friendly and it is not forgiving. C# or Python would be better options.

That said, regardless of which language you ultimately choose to learn, everybody learns differently. Some people swear by YouTube-based tutorials as a means of acquiring new knowledge. I personally can't stand them. Getting started, books and online introductions are likely to be your best option since they will tend to be more comprehensive in their overviews and educational rigor. Once you move beyond the basics and can build simple programs (like a "guess the number" text-based game) on your own without consulting the book, you can move on to material that better suits your style (such as video-based stuff if you are into that).

Be aware that (especially for C++ given its age and complexity), there are a lot of really bad "tutorials" out there.

Thanks, I'll probably do C#, i'm never doing python though, just don't ask...

Also do you recommend any C# books i can start off with?

i'm never doing python though, just don't ask...

That seems like a silly attitude. Good programmers know many languages and generally do not let superficial or political issues get in the way of using one if it is the proper tool for the job. And comments like that strongly imply a superficial or political bent to whatever your issue with the language is. Since you don't know it, after all.

Also do you recommend any C# books i can start off with?

There's a good collection of material from the MSDN here. I don't have any books to recommend for beginners, but there's a few linked on the MSDN site that are probably perfectly acceptable.

Just dont ask about python...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement