Sign in to follow this  
Colin Bondzio

why C++?

C++ is an abomination which will shorten your life and threaten your sanity.

No really. If you are new and asking this question, avoid learning c++ for now and stick to more sane languages such as C# or python... 

Good luck!

Don't listen to Brain; he is a hater.  You want an abomination go use Objective-C.  As everyone else said, C++ is one of many programming languages.

Don't listen to Brain; he is a hater. You want an abomination go use Objective-C. As everyone else said, C++ is one of many programming languages.

I'm no hater, i'm using C++ for my current project and have used it before for many others, but there's no way i'd recommend learning it to any newbie...

Surprised no one has pointed you at the language's official homepage which has several links for getting started, news, and lots of interesting bits of information.

Don't listen to Brain; he is a hater. You want an abomination go use Objective-C. As everyone else said, C++ is one of many programming languages.

I'm no hater, i'm using C++ for my current project and have used it before for many others, but there's no way i'd recommend learning it to any newbie...

C++ is perfectly teachable to anyone, especially modern C++11/14 with a very strong library. The bonus is that when they are then ready for more speed or complexity it is available to them, rather then forcing them to switch languages.

Not trying to be a defender of ObjC, but: http://yosefk.com/c++fqa/defective.html

All in all, C++ is still fun and of course it's still industry standard.

C++ is perfectly teachable to anyone, especially modern C++11/14 with a very strong library. The bonus is that when they are then ready for more speed or complexity it is available to them, rather then forcing them to switch languages.

Though C++ is a convoluted mess of different concepts (C-style, OOP, template metaprogramming, etc.), so even if you technically don't switch languages, you would still be doing stuff so different that it would feel very similar to switching languages.

I don't want to jump on the (seemingly popular nowadays) C++ bashing bandwagon, since I like it (similar to how to I like brainteasers), but working with other languages (and not juse C derivates), one can (and should) easily see and know the deficits in order to avoid them. If you know the subset of C++ that you are going to use well, then it can serve you well. But C++ sometimes really seems designed with the goal "to shoot yourself in the foot".

Unfortunately in the real world some people in business don't get Google being an indispensable tool for programmers. This becomes apparent in some interview tests. Some expect you to know the exact function names for everything that is required right off the bat. My counter argument to that would be, "so you don't let your programmers read programming books either?"

C++ is an abomination which will shorten your life and threaten your sanity.

No really. If you are new and asking this question, avoid learning c++ for now and stick to more sane languages such as C# or python... 

Good luck!

Don't listen to Brain; he is a hater.  You want an abomination go use Objective-C.  As everyone else said, C++ is one of many programming languages.

I worked with a senior programmer who is very used to the .NET stack. When my boss decided to have him experiment with iOS development, he said that Objective-C was like a flashback to the early 90's.