Turn based multiplayer game

Started by
3 comments, last by Ashaman73 9 years, 2 months ago

Hi,

I'm struggling to grasp the concept of setting up a proper server/client network for a turn based board game. What I basically want is restrict certain actions for a player until it is his turn. I created a Lobby where players can create a server/game and other players can retrieve a list of servers and join them. When the server is full of players it will load a new Scene for the game. But i cannot get this turn based structure to work.

Here is some code for the lobby:

When a player starts the game the player can press the "create game" button that loads this function:

private void StartServer()
{
  Network.InitializeServer(2, 25000, false);
  MasterServer.RegisterHost(gameName, "Test game 2", "Welcome to for a row!");
  GameObject canvas = GameObject.Find("Canvas");
  canvas.SetActive(false);
}

When another player presses the "Search games" button a list of buttons appear with all the open games using MasterServer.PollHostData(). When a player selects a game it will connect and load a new scene.

private void GameButton(HostData hostData)
{
	Debug.Log(hostData.gameName);
	Network.Connect(hostData);
	Application.LoadLevel("GameScene");
}

Upon connection the player who created the server will load the new scene as well:

private void OnPlayerConnected(NetworkPlayer player)
{
	Debug.Log(player.externalIP + " Has connected!");		
	Application.LoadLevel("GameScene");
}

Now I have both players connected and in the same scene. I could create a line like:

Network.Instantiate(prefab, Vector3.zero, Quaternion.identity, 0);

And both players start spawning this prefab in the centre of the world. I could also make them move these objects individually and all i well. The problem starts when I want this turn based implementation. I need to restrict a player (server or client) from doing certain actions. They should be able to rotate the board and perhaps look into there cards or objects in there "hand". But they have to wait until it is there turn. How would I go about that?

Since one player is actually the server and will be running the (Network.isServer) code I am not able to sent messages to self. So how do i separate these? Is my current structure flawed and do I need to setup the server differently? What I see in certain games is that the player can just click start game a and he gets matched vs another player. Are both of these players clients? And if so, where does the server code run? Is this even possible with unity MasterServer?

Like I said, I am trying to grasp the concept of this kind of "match making" system but i have no clue if i am on the right track. All looks well from the lobby but when the players actually connect i have no idea how to get this turn based system going.

Advertisement

First divide your actions into turn related and rest actions. Then you could use a token which is managed by the server. Only the client which holds the token is able to execute turn-related actions:

Lobby-server send a request to start a game with client 1 to client N to a game server.

Game server:
1. Holds token at start.
2. Game starts, send message to all clients to load map.
2.1 Wait until all clients have loaded the map and reports, that they are ready to play.
3. Turn: do some turn related preparation (eg. send simple 'New turn' message)
3.1 send token to client 1
3.2. wait until client 1 returns token (finished turn)
3.3. send token to client 2
3.4 wait until ...
4. Server received token and all clients have finished their turn.
5. Do some turn closing stuff (eg. AI bots execute their turn).
6. Check game finish condition, if not yet met, go to 3 and start the next turn

Thanks Ashaman,

But the problem is the player that creates the server is actually the server and not a client. Or am I missing something here? I have looked into creating a server on the MaterServer and then joining the player that created it to it but without success. I know I am not understanding the concept completely, trying to get there.

//I am actually getting somehwere. Using RCP i found out that the server player is NetworkPlayer.toString() == -1 and the other connected player is NetworkPlayer.toString() == 1.

I think i got it. What the problem is with the Network system of unity is that a player that creates the server has to act differently. This is not documented anywhere. I just created a test that finally seems to do what I want.

if (Input.GetMouseButtonDown(0))
{
	if (Network.isServer)
	{
		SentMouseClick(Input.mousePosition); //Do not sent a RPC call otherwise the NetworkPlayer will be -1 and not identical to the "server player" on the network.
	}
	else
	{
		networkView.RPC("SentMouseClick", RPCMode.Server, Input.mousePosition);
	}
}

//Create a function for the clients [RPC] and for the player on the server. This still seems awkward to me
	[RPC]
	private void SentMouseClick(Vector3 v, NetworkMessageInfo info)
	{
		Debug.Log("Player (" + info.sender.ToString() + ") clicked at: " + v);
	}
	private void SentMouseClick(Vector3 v)
	{
		Debug.Log("Player (" + Network.player.ToString() + ") clicked at: " + v);
	}

Now i am wondering with what you mean with a token? But at least i can verify a move from a player on the server and instantiate or alter the scene on the server.

So with the knowledge gained above I started fiddling around and am wondering if this is a proper way of doing it. The server player and the client can in turn press a button that get registered by the server. It possibly also works with many clients but not tested that yet. Everything coded within the if (myTurn) statement is only executed when it really is the clients turn. Everything outside still works.

Still wondering if this is a good approach. Would love to have some feedback.

//server fields
	private NetworkPlayer player;
	private NetworkPlayer[] playerPool;
	private int currentPlayer;

//player fields
	private bool myTurn = false;

// Use this for initialization
	void Start () {
		player = Network.player;

if (Network.isServer)
		{
			playerPool = new NetworkPlayer[Network.connections.GetLength(0) + 1];
			playerPool[0] = player; //Adds server player to the pool
			//Put all clients in the pool
			for (int i = 0; i < Network.connections.GetLength(0); i++)
			{
				playerPool[i + 1] = Network.connections[i];
			}
			//give someone the first turn
			currentPlayer = Random.Range(0, playerPool.GetLength(0) - 1);
			networkView.RPC("GiveTurn", RPCMode.All, playerPool[currentPlayer]);

//list players in pool
			foreach (NetworkPlayer p in playerPool)
			{
				Debug.Log("Player (" + p.ToString() + ") added to pool");
			}
		}
	}

void Update () 
	{
		if (myTurn)
		{
			if (Input.GetMouseButtonDown(0))
			{
				if (Network.isServer)
				{
					EndTurn();
					myTurn = false;
				}
				else
				{
					networkView.RPC("EndTurn", RPCMode.Server);
					myTurn = false;
				}
			}
		}
	}

[RPC]
	private void GiveTurn(NetworkPlayer player)
	{
		if (Network.player.ToString() == player.ToString())
			myTurn = true;
		Debug.Log("Player (" + player.ToString() + ") is ready to act.");
	}

[RPC]
	private void EndTurn(NetworkMessageInfo info)
	{
		Debug.Log("Player (" + info.sender.ToString() + ") ended his turn.");
		currentPlayer++;
		if (currentPlayer >= playerPool.GetLength(0))
			currentPlayer = 0;
		Debug.Log(currentPlayer + ", " + playerPool.GetLength(0));

}
	private void EndTurn()
	{
		Debug.Log("Player (" + Network.player.ToString() + ") ended his turn.");
		currentPlayer++;
		if (currentPlayer >= playerPool.GetLength(0))
			currentPlayer = 0;
	}

But the problem is the player that creates the server is actually the server and not a client. Or am I missing something here?

Being the server or the client is just a role, therefor one PC or computer program can be server and client. It is not uncommon to separate client and server code, you can even go so far to let the local client communicate with the local server over the local network interface. Neverthless, separation can help a lot and avoids some mixed server/client code.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement