A horror game?

Started by
9 comments, last by Brain 9 years, 2 months ago
Hello all,

I am not a programmer and not in the game industry but I have a concept for a horror game I would like to throw around. [sentence deleted by mod]

Concept: An individual is trapped in a mall overnight and has to stay until open. The story I have contemplated is a group of teenagers daring you to stay for money. The mall is a well built location that is frequented by many patrons but at night something changes. The mannequins move positions and kill people. The mannequins don't appear to move but as you turn away they are able to re-position themselves and watch you as you move about the mall. I believe that the atmosphere you can create in this situation is intense as the best way to create tension is to give a player the thought that any moment they could be jumped.
Advertisement

The idea sounds interesting, but it needs to be fleshed out more. smile.png

People fear danger, and it is more of an instinct that we feel nervous and uneasy if we know that there's something there, but it is hidden from our view (the predator stalking us for his next meal). Horror games/movies often utilize this. One concept is to blend dangers into the environment. First by making an hard to overlook environment with many possiblities to hide (a destroyed urban setting, a steam filled tunnel on a spaceship, a dark house, a forstest in the night, a maze with many closed doors). Then the stalker needs to fade into the environment.

The mannequins concept is often used in this way: many mannequins are the environment, human like puppets, where the stalker, a human himself, has some way to just stand there close to his prey without being recognized easily.

Therefor, once you know that the mannequins are the predators, you can pick them out easily. It is just to easy for the player to overlook the danger of a given scene. If only one of all the mannequins is the predator, then it would change....

Thanks for the response ashaman, So perhaps its only one mannequin? So you will feel tense as soon as you see a group because you know one might be capable of moving. Could create a decent amount of tension. Also I like your username. I enjoyed the wheel of time series.

Isn't this exactly like Five Nights at Freddy's?

@Legendre: It doesn't seem like it; the concept of "ordinarily inanimate objects moving when one isn't looking, and being murderous" isn't original to Five Nights at Freddy's (and indeed, mannequins aren't entirely uncommon for this purpose, I believe). Additionally, while I don't know what sort of gameplay is intended, I don't see indications that it's likely to be built around static cameras and resource management, as I believe is the case in Five Nights at Freddy's.

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

My Twitter Account: @EbornIan

ordinarily inanimate objects moving when one isn't looking, and being murderous

Makes me think of the weeping angels from Dr Who *shudder*...

ordinarily inanimate objects moving when one isn't looking, and being murderous

Makes me think of the weeping angels from Dr Who *shudder*...

That was indeed one example that I had in mind, I believe (although I've never seen the actual episode myself, I'm afraid). I've also seen actual mannequins (or similar) in a few horror games of late, although the names of those games escape me offhand, and the idea of mannequins as objects of horror is far from new (see: Silent Hill).

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

So perhaps its only one mannequin?

Either that, or something that can possess/animate any mannequin... but only one mannequin at a time. The key is to prevent your player from getting comfortable that they can identify or predict the behaviour of their enemy reliably.

I'd suggest a read through "Taking Slender apart, an introduction to Horror Games" -- it's looking at a specific game and not everything will necessarily be applicable, but I think you'll find some good general tips for potentially making a very effective horror game. smile.png

- Jason Astle-Adams

A thought: another source of fear might be the experience of being watched, especially by something that shouldn't be able to watch you--like a mannequin. Perhaps it might be worth having the mannequin at times turn up in a position from which it isn't in a position to attack the player (such as behind a shutter or glass storefront, or behind bars), but from which it simply, silently watches the player. Think of Silent Hill 2 and the early sighting of Pyramid Head behind a set of bars in a corridor, for example.

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Darkness and creepy noises..

And don't forget NOT ALL of the mannequins are the evil ones (some are JUST inert mannequins). Keeps the player guessing especially when the evil mannequins are sneaky enough to reposition the non-evil ones.

If this was a 3D graphics game then the many strange poses of ALL the mannequins might be an amusing aspect (so you can laugh just before you DIE!!)

--------------------------------------------[size="1"]Ratings are Opinion, not Fact

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement